Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Range Finders ****

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 02:29 AM

Range Finders ****

In the market for new range finder to partner up with my 338 edge, I Know the swarovski is highly recommended for getting to those long ranges and accurately, hoping to get the meat of some other peoples searches and experiences.... Thank you.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: Range Finders ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountryCo View Post
In the market for new range finder to partner up with my 338 edge, I Know the swarovski is highly recommended for getting to those long ranges and accurately, hoping to get the meat of some other peoples searches and experiences.... Thank you.
I know a few long rangers that like the Swaro,,,I personally had to try literally 7 new Swaros to get one that ranged past 1500...I bought it, it worked great for a few weeks then wouldnt range worth a crap. I waited till aft x-mas, and tried another 3 or 4 from cabellas and they wouldnt range.

I love to shoot long range more recently to 2,000 yards. Im waiting for the new Leica 1600 this summer. Until then, Im using my GPS for long shots past 1200. My Leica gets me to 1200 and 1300 on good days. Past that, your GPS will get you pretty close.

If you have to have a Swaro, just make sure of two things. First,, dont buy one unless you range it to non reflective targets. Second, make darn sure you use it a ton the first 30 days, so when it craps out on you, you can get your money back

KZ
Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

No problems with my Swarovski so far, after 3 years. It ranges to 1650 - 1700 yds pretty consistently.

In spite of that, when the new Leica 1600 comes out, I'll probably have one, due to the barometer, temperature, and inclination features it reportedly comes with.

I've had the Leica 1200 Scan LRF before and the Swarovski glass is definitely better. Good enough that I will often leave the binoculars at the house for one day hunts and simply use the Swaro as a monocular. I wouldn't do that with the Leica 1200 Scan because the glass wasn't quite sufficient for my liking. But I'll be willing to downgrade on glass quality to obtain 1600 yd ranging, pressure, temperature, and inclination/declination data with the Leica 1600. IF it will range to at least 1500 yds. My Leica 1200 wouldn't reach 700 yds on some mountainsides. Never a miss out to 1200 yds with the Swaro. And generally 1600 plus yds.

Buy a Swaro now, or wait for the Leica 1600 to be field tested if atmospheric pressure, temperature, and inclination data are valued. The new model Leica is supposed to be available ~ August 2010 - based on the best rumors I've read.

Last edited by phorwath; 04-01-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Leica 1600 projected to be available August 2010
Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 AM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
From Leica's website:

What further sets the Rangemaster CRF 1600 apart from the competition: its integrated ballistics computer with a range of different ballistics curves plus an integrated gradient sensor.
Sounds like its usefulness will be limited. The ballistics data will only apply to telling you corrected distance if your load fits on one of several pre-determined ballistic curves (loads). Not much chance of that working for many of us, given the precision at extended ranges that we require.

Now, what if someone would come out with a 2,000 yard rangefinder that would allow you to input your "true BC" and spit out a corrected range after sampling pressure, temp, etc.

Well, I'll be offering Huskemaw's unit that does all this. Should be available by mid to late summer.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now, what if someone would come out with a 2,000 yard rangefinder that would allow you to input your "true BC" and spit out a corrected range after sampling pressure, temp, etc.

Well, I'll be offering Huskemaw's unit that does all this. Should be available by mid to late summer.
Let us hope they allow G7s and that it will range to 2K.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Silver Member

Barrett

Horus Vision : System 5
if money is no object,
Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
No problems with my Swarovski so far, after 3 years. It ranges to 1650 - 1700 yds pretty consistently.

In spite of that, when the new Leica 1600 comes out, I'll probably have one, due to the barometer, temperature, and inclination features it reportedly comes with.

I've had the Leica 1200 Scan LRF before and the Swarovski glass is definitely better. Good enough that I will often leave the binoculars at the house for one day hunts and simply use the Swaro as a monocular. I wouldn't do that with the Leica 1200 Scan because the glass wasn't quite sufficient for my liking. But I'll be willing to downgrade on glass quality to obtain 1600 yd ranging, pressure, temperature, and inclination/declination data with the Leica 1600. IF it will range to at least 1500 yds. My Leica 1200 wouldn't reach 700 yds on some mountainsides. Never a miss out to 1200 yds with the Swaro. And generally 1600 plus yds.

Buy a Swaro now, or wait for the Leica 1600 to be field tested if atmospheric pressure, temperature, and inclination data are valued. The new model Leica is supposed to be available around the first of May - based on the best rumors I've read.
Timing on the Leica?? One of the guys from Leica posted an August release date for the Leica on this forum......We shall see!!

kz