Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

range finders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Gold Member

Re: range finders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
how much was that Laser Technology Impulse 200XL?
how well does it work on animals?
opticsplanet is a "discount distributor":
Laser Technology Impulse 200XL Laser Rangefinders 7003555 FREE S&H 7003555. Laser Technology Range Finders.
I bought mine used on ebay for about half that. The Impulse 2K model is the same rangefinder but without the inclinometer, PC interface, and some built in computations. Neither are designed specifically for shooting.

I haven't even tried raniging directly to animals with the 200XL I have several rangefinders and from my early experiments found the fur or hair of most animals is a poor reflector of the 800 to 1000 nm IR light used in most civilian rangefinders. Green tree leaves are much more reflective. If the beam size is larger than than the critter or the rangfider shakes a bit it's easy to measure to something in the background by mistake. I find it's more reliable to measure to foliage near the target.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Leat we forget---Beam Divergence is key here folks. The first time you try and range something where you have objects in front of the object you are ranging and the beam is too wide and gives you a reading on the closer object you will know what I am talking about..
Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Leat we forget---Beam Divergence is key here folks. The first time you try and range something where you have objects in front of the object you are ranging and the beam is too wide and gives you a reading on the closer object you will know what I am talking about..
It's good to know what the divergence of your rangefinder actually is. You may find it in the specification sheeet, but you can actually see the beam and measure it using a night vision scope or a camera with IR capability such as one of the Sony "nightshot" cameras or most cheap black&white surveillance cameras. The beam size vs distance is not the same for all rangefinders and for many the beam is larger than game animals which might be targeted for "long range hunting". Most civilian rangefinders can be detected with a ccd camera. Most military rangefinders cannot as they typically work at wavelengths longer than the cutoff of silicon.