Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

range finders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: range finders

[ QUOTE ]
I have not seen anyone that was not tickeled with their Swarovski

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am the first one not to be impressed.
WHile the optics are top notch and the size is good, the aiming circle was clearly designed to range red staggs standing broadside at 100 meters! I think Rosie O' Donnells butt is smaller than the orange circle in the Swaro's! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

It seems a bad engineering design for those of us who like to range farther than 100 meters.

With the aim point so vague, I found it very hard to range what I wanted to past 1000 yards. On the other hand, the Wild rangefinder (while big and heavy) will range anything as long as you can see it! I can range the <font color="blue">chuck </font> at 2000 yards and not the hill or mountain he resides on. It gets exact where the Swaro AND Leica just let you get ballparkish. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:55 AM
SPONSOR

Well I will agree with you that the reticle in the swaro is pretty big and kinda poorly designed. I wish they would have used the reticle that is in the leica in the swaro.

I wouldbe interested to see if the orange circle completely covers up Rosie O'donnels butt at 100 yrds though.

While it may be slightly vague on animals as small as pdogs at 1k plus it still is a heck ofa good range finder/bino combo though.

Take it easy
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 08-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Bronze Member

I would like to see something like the Swaro in a variable-power spotting scope (say, 15-30 or there abouts)with a 1/8 MOA dot and some way to "zero" it. But that's just me.

Rick
Old 08-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info I belive I'll pass.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

I had an LRB 7X50 and was very pleased with everything except the size and weight. I traded it in for a LRB 7X40 and am very happy with it so far. Peoples' poor experiences with the smaller monoculars does not accurately reflect on these--smaller lasers, smaller objectives, etc.

I simply can't stand looking with one eye very long unless I'm about to shoot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and don't want to have to get out another instrument to range something after finding it glassing. I'd put their ranging performance up against anything in that price range--before the Swarvy came out at least. From what people say, it might actually range farther.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:57 AM
Gold Member

Re: range finders GG, brian b??

GG, and brian b let me ask you this question. If you broke your leica and the warranty was dead and gone and had to buy another unit which one would it be?? Swaro or leica?
I'm looking at both units for a new range finder and I'm completely bumfuzzeled as to which one. I was leaning Swaro because of all the great reveiws until your reports of funny looking aiming point. Help me if you can!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: range finders GG, brian b??

If I had to replace my Leica with another laser rangefinder, I think I would just either buy another one or bite my lip and throw down the big coin for one like John Burns uses. I went to their website awhile back and saw that they made a few models and all were capable of at least 2000 meters or more but were very spendy.

Can anyone provide a link for the rangefinders John uses?
Much appreciated.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.