Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

range finder opinions/recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Bronze Member

range finder opinions/recommendations?

I am looking for a range finder for hunting/target. I was considering an optical rangefinder (swiss). the leicas are nice. I also like the bushnell rangefinder/binocular. looking for a good/reliable/accurate finder. what are your opinions. what are you using?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: range finder opinions/recommendations?

Dr John. Im currently field testing a Leica Goevid BRF 10x42 binos/LRF combination for an article in shooting sports magazine. The unit is impressive. unbreakable and a damn good piece of kit. excellent optics. I've sold my LRF 800 and my bino's.i want to keep the Geovid.
Pete
Old 04-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Two of my friends just got there's and have nothing but praise for these units. At 1795.00 USD they better be happy!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:08 PM
SPONSOR

I have the Leica 1200 and have no complaints. I ranged a cow @ 800+ with it. Worked well on PDs out to 600 as well.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Dr. John,

My Newcon LRB 7x50 SPD were crap. Hope the Swarovski Laser Guide (when it arrives) will be the cats whiskers. Have a look in equipment reviews.

David.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

What did you not like about the LRB's? I have sold probably 30 sets with no complaints at $599 a pop. The multiple sets I have personally tested outranged the Leica LRF 1200 by an easy 400 yards virtually every time. You may have gotten a bad sample....
Old 04-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Don,

Please do not take offense but my experience with Newcons was not good, it was also brief.

This is a copy of what I put in equipment reviews some time back.

"I wanted a laser, the Newcons being binos seemed like a good idea and had the speed detector function. Much less spendy than Leica Geovids.

The box looked good and so did the carrying case. The unit to me left a lot to be desired, bulky, plastic and not good optics.

As a binocular very poor, as a laser eratic. One day it read a grey building over 1KM the next it struggled to do over 200m (I tried several new batteries)and weather conditions were similar. The speed detector worked but it had no scan mode. Also not waterproof. The third day it got sent back.

I may have just got a lemon but I saw nothing to suggest it was a quality optic.

The good news is that I bought it from binoculars direct, they will replace it with a Swarovski Laser Guide, when in stock (mid to end of April). Very good people to deal with".

I should add that I mailed Newcon about the scan function, if it should have one with the speed detector or not but got no reply. Also a couple of things I did not mention before, firstly the blue cast was very stong, secondly when I received it one of the lens`s was loose (the lock ring was not tight and cable was traped between the plastic case housing and rear metal plate. It sort of gave me the impression of being made in Poland.

As I said I may have just got a lemon but for the money,(more than a Leica LRF and same as a Swarovski I would have expected better/comparable quality).

David.