Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Range Finder dilema.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Range Finder dilema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
That will depend on your personal use. I only use my Rf's for an accurate distance reading as I use a seperate program for dial ups. So the 1600b would not do me any more than the 1600.

Jeff
That's what I think too. I really like my ballistics app. It's very user friendly and has never lead me to missing targets out to 800 yds (never tried farther).
Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Interesting comment on the ARC1000. Mine ranges out to 1000 plus without any issue and compares side by side distance wse, with the Leupy my partner has.

Batteries weak per chance?

Mine was a gift from the wife, so it basically cost me nothing (monetarily).....
Mine ranges out to 1000 yds also, I just need to range a glass building, but out in the shooting range the damn thing can't range steel targets farther than 400 yds.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

See my write up on both the 1600 and 1600-B.

Leica 1600 LRF: actual use?

Both will range to 1975+, pinging off conifer trees or oak brush. Either will give you temp, baro pressure and angle; all useful/needed for your handheld ballistic calc input.

Per the internal ballistic calc, which both have, the 1600 works to 550 yds and the 1600-B works to 875 yds; not a yard further.

For me, the ability to "quickly" range a target "and" get drop data for a target that is 1) within the LRF calc range, and about to disappear over a ridge or into trees is invaluable.

When you ping a target, the temp, baro pressure and angle are ALL computed into the dope given you in the view finder.

My testing, thus far has been VERY promising; both with SHOOTER and EXBAL and actual shooting. I thought it (B model) wouldn't work past 600 yds until I used a 200 yd zero and then it was only 1/4 moa off at 875 yds.

If you feel the 1600 will fit your needs, CamerlandNY has them on sale for $650 vs the previous $800. The B model also runs $800.

Alan

Last edited by Alan Griffith; 09-20-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Add pricing info
Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Bronze Member

I had the exact same LRF (Bushnell 'legend' 1000). I sold it after finding its shortcommings and bought a Newcon Optik 1800m (1.8km, I've done 1.5 in daylight) for $600 all in from Tactical Imports.

Overall, very impressed and if it catches your fancy, I'd go for it!

This thing is large and built like a tank. It's also made right here in Canada, not some Asian sweat shop...

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing. ― Charles Bukowski

Only precise rifles are interesting.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagen Dazs View Post
I had the exact same LRF (Bushnell 'legend' 1000). I sold it after finding its shortcommings and bought a Newcon Optik 1800m (1.8km, I've done 1.5 in daylight) for $600 all in from Tactical Imports.

This thing is large and built like a tank. It's also made right here in Canada, not some Asian sweat shop...

This one looks awesome. Never heard of them before. Thanks. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't carry an inclinometer and mounting one on my scope will match the price of the CRF 1600
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I'm seriously looking at the 1500, give me a rundown on yours!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWCON-OPTIK...item3ef15eba17
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Hey Haagen,

How are the optics in that unit? How do you like the reticle?