Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Range Finder Advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Range Finder Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jett View Post
Potomac River Group - Welcome
The PLRF 10 will cost you around $3750, a background check, and a 6 week wait. My swaro was unable to accurately range deer ON FLAT GROUND at 700+ yds DUE TO THE LARGE BEAM DIVERGENCE. The Leica 1600 was much better, but the PLRF 10 is pure magic! Yes, it is expensive, but a $5,000 long range rifle is worthless without an accurate range. Where the terrain is not flat and/or there are trees, rocks, etc. near your target, the other range finders are fine.
This is a very true statement. I have been in the very same situation with flat ground and the big beam RF's and what jett says is true. Very true.

Jeff
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Bronze Member

maybe 4k inst affordable for everyone, but most people think lr shooters are crazy when we spend 2k plus on optics or 800$ on a stock....
Old 08-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

as others here have stated, it really makes a differencs on what kind of terrian your going to be using it in,I would spend the $200 extra and get the leica 1600, I also have a bushnell elite 1500 arc that works wright along side of my leica in high country or if there are ceader trees present, in open country the leica seems to work better, last year I ranged a muley buck for my buddy in wyoming high country with the bushnell at 1048 yards(actually ranging a bush next to the deer) how do I know it was the wright range you might ask, because when he dialed the range he hit it his first shot,if you go with the higher power say the 1600 leica it will work well out to 800 to a 1000 yards in pourer conditions the 1200 will do well out to 600 to 800 yards in pour conditions,I actually like my bushnell 1600 arc elite the best where I hunt it works well in high country and has a tripod mount, I also like the arc feature for extreme angle shots, the bushnell costs about $450.00 buy the best that you can afford and go from there.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Gold Member

The only thing about long range shooing is that everyone tells you about the one that did not get away but few if any tell you about all the ones that did or did limp away.................I saw Grey wolf at the Reno Elk show and when he showed them shooting Elk at 1000 yards I asked if they had any videos of the ones that they missed or wouned. He had a comeback that pretty much said Move on and go some place else. Ultra long range shooting is best left to those who train every day not the guy that goes out once in a while............I can understand 500 600 yards ..........maybe 700 at the most but beyond that the success rate is like the guys who carry around a one hole five shot group ....................but have yet to repeat it. I can tell you about the one time I jumped a covey of Chukar and dumped five with five shots but I cant tell you the time I did it again................My son trained with Special Forces while in the Army and he said that all these guys did was train train and train ..............................................

Its all great in theory but reality in the field is something different.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jett View Post
Potomac River Group - Welcome
The PLRF 10 will cost you around $3750, a background check, and a 6 week wait. My swaro was unable to accurately range deer ON FLAT GROUND at 700+ yds DUE TO THE LARGE BEAM DIVERGENCE. The Leica 1600 was much better, but the PLRF 10 is pure magic! Yes, it is expensive, but a $5,000 long range rifle is worthless without an accurate range. Where the terrain is not flat and/or there are trees, rocks, etc. near your target, the other range finders are fine. My terrain here in eastern NC is absolutely flat agricultural fields which extend for miles. The PLRF 10 was a must for me. Hope this makes my earlier post more clear.
A background check for a range finder ?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

That's correct.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I can understand 500 600 yards ..........maybe 700 at the most but beyond that the success rate is like the guys who carry around a one hole five shot group ....................but have yet to repeat it. I can tell you about the one time I jumped a covey of Chukar and dumped five with five shots but I cant tell you the time I did it again. Its all great in theory but reality in the field is something different.
You Sir are definatly uninformed. Your post shows you are lacking in actual knowledge of the success rate and consistancy of the experienced long range shooter / hunter that possesses good equipment and knows how to effectively use it.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 08-19-2011 at 08:17 PM.