Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Range Finder Advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Range Finder Advise

I realize that long range shooting is only as good as your range finder is .............if you dont know the range you can only guess and miss. So without knowing the exact distance there really is no long range shooting.
With that off my mind I would like all your feedback on Range Finders. What Im learning is that you get what you pay for . Most range finders I have been looking at have a realistic non reflective distance of 400 yards............that to me makes them kind of worthless. That leads me to the more expensive ones like the Leica 1000 or the 1600............So tell me, since Im clueless, will the Leica's give me a accurate distance on non reflective targets like a deer or an antelope and maybe a coyote over 400 yards.............whats the advantage of the 1600 or the 1000 other than the $200 more in price. It would appear that your kind of forced towards the Leica range finders if you want to consider shooting anything past 400 yards and I would assume that you would need a rock solid hold to get the accurate reading you need.

I need your advise help and opinions...................I dont have any and I have no experiance since I have never used one.

Greg
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Range Finder Advise

i run a leica 1600 and a swarvo. I can get both to read in the 1200-1300 yards range on animals in GOOD conditions. With that all said i can tell you my range finder is the week link in my gear. I will have a vectronix plrf-10 by next year. Played with a friends and was getting 9/10 reads on antelope in the 2000+ yard range....
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

How do you know your readings are accurate?? For all you know that 1200 yards your rangefinder is tell you .........is really only 945 yards...........

Would seem to me that you would need the real distance to know if your RF is telling you the truth
Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

there are a few factors that go into what is the 'best' range finder. Here's a good article...

Laser RangeFinders

Personally, I use the Swaro and love it.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
How do you know your readings are accurate?? For all you know that 1200 yards your rangefinder is tell you .........is really only 945 yards...........

Would seem to me that you would need the real distance to know if your RF is telling you the truth
You 'know' by ranging your target more than once in an attempt to duplicate results and by using quality equipment like a Swaro or Leica rangefinder.

How would you determine the 'real distance'? ask a deer to stand still so that you can extend a tape measure?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Since I received my Vectronics PLRF 10, my Swaro and Leica
1600 are now just inferior backups! You will be money ahead by buying the PLRF 10 in the beginning, if you intend to shoot at extended ranges where small beam divergence is needed.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Where does a person purchase a PLRF 10?