Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

range finder??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: range finder??

I have a leica 800, yes 800 and tested it beside a buddy's bushnell 1000 at the williamsport 1k range one day. Side by side in sun and shade the leica 800 outperformed the bushnell. at the range there are a few rock/brush piles at over 800yds from the firing line. the leica consistantly read 829-830 to the piles and the bushnell failed to read at all, full sun and full shade. that was enough to make me love my leica. also one somewhat cloudy evening the leica consistantly ranged a 4'X2' tree stump at 972 yards--not bad for an 800yd rangefinder. i'll stick with my leica.
jason
Old 08-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

I've had a pile of the Bushnell models and over the years I've learned that it is VERY IMPORTANT to keep the filter lense(s) dust free and protect it/them from scratches. My first Bushnell was a "try to break it" toy...I baked the thing in the hot sun (it wouldn't function when overheated) and generally abused it. I buffed the filter lense myself once the unit was degraded to the point it'd only range a couple hundred yards at best. The buffing cleared it up some but I've come to believe (after about three (3) trial units) that it is fairly important to take care of the lense(s).

I have a Bushnell Compact 800 now and keep it safely tucked in it's soft case and clean it often...it works remarkable well ranging to over 900 yards (on trees, shrubs and grasses....(I'm an avid tree, shrub and grass shooter [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) in bright daylight.

Conditions I've found that produce problems: Ranging into/toward the sun (the sun is 163,680,000,000 yards...I'd suggest using holdover(s) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). Ranging in snow on bright days (sorry elk hunters). Ranging distant objects without a very steady hand or solid rest.

Some of the best objects to range? Reflectors, licenses plates (or pieces thereof), other rangefinders (must be a sympathetic circuit or something such...immediate reading)!!! (Keep your eyes covered around me...I range everything!)
Old 08-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

VH,
I have both the Bushnell and Leica and agree with your statement. Perhaps the bottom line is that given the constraints (restrictions by the gov't for eye-safety) these instruments must work within as far as the transmittion "power", they just don't have the ability to range reliably out past 5-600 yards in some light conditions. There are times when they are quick and accurate and times when they let a person down. Frustrating but that is the way it is.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Gold Member

thanks for the info
I take it the Newcom is not in the running???

[ 08-06-2003: Message edited by: fmsniper ]
Rakkasan

U.S. Army Sniper
"Opening Minds Worldwide"

Old 08-19-2003, 08:25 PM

I just got Newcon 1200 and found it to be superior to my buddy's Bushnell 800. I am very pleased with mine. FYI