Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Quick question about Leupold B&C reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Quick question about Leupold B&C reticle

I'm a little confused about the B&C reticle offered in the Leupold scopes. I've read that you need to set the scope at a specific power in order for it to be effective. Since the recticle is on the second focal plane, does that mean that it will change sizes depending on magnification level?
I am also using LoadBase, which has a scope reticle function incorporated into it that will state the yardages for each cross hair mark on a given reticle, such as the B&C, from the external ballistics of a given load. Do these calculated holdover yardages remain constant at any magnification power since it is taking into effect the ballistics of a specific load.
The whole large triangle/small triangle thing and trying to simulate the performance of a given caliber isn't something I want to mess with. I just want to enter my load info into Load Base, and output the reticle chart, so I know what the hold over marks represent.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: Quick question about Leupold B&C reticle

Quote:
I'm a little confused about the B&C reticle offered in the Leupold scopes. I've read that you need to set the scope at a specific power in order for it to be effective. Since the recticle is on the second focal plane, does that mean that it will change sizes depending on magnification level?
The reticle will not change apparent size, but the angular measurement it subtends will change. The angular distance between the reticle features is different for each magnification setting.
Quote:
I am also using LoadBase, which has a scope reticle function incorporated into it that will state the yardages for each cross hair mark on a given reticle, such as the B&C, from the external ballistics of a given load. Do these calculated holdover yardages remain constant at any magnification power since it is taking into effect the ballistics of a specific load.
Only at the power specified by Leupold as the "correct" magnification for the reticle. Usually that's max power until you get into the highest magnification scopes.