Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Question on Zeiss Reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Bronze Member

Question on Zeiss Reticle

I am debating between the rapid z reticles, the 800, 1000 and varmint. It is going on my 7stw, and realistic ranges of 500-600 yards. I like the idea of the 6.5 x 20, but the z1000 reticle seems way off when I plug the numbers in, i realize it designed for the .308,but it looks like the varmint would work just about right out to 600. Or would the 4.5 x 14 with z800 be a better choice? Any input on either of these would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: Question on Zeiss Reticle

I personally like the #20 or the #4 reticles. I use #20 on two of my rigs. The only lines or marks I like are MILS, MOAS for distance "guessing" and sizing of my target. I don't like hold over shots unless you know your rifle well and have no other choice. I am still in the learning stage and am a hard headed man with with a very serious impression from a shooter that told me to learn to scope and shoot your rifle "the same way every time you sight that scope". So I have stayed away from overhold articles.That is where the hard head comes in but. I have a lot to learn but am happy with what I do so far in the field. Bill Maylor..

Last edited by Bill Maylor; 02-04-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Having used a regular duplex as well as recently the Nikon BDC I looked hard at the Rapid Z reticles from Zeiss. My impression was that they are very "busy" and this was confirmed when I saw one in person. I ended up with target turrets with a duplex reticle so that I can spin my elevation instead of hold over as I just couldn't get to the point of liking the Rapid Z reticles.

Just my impression.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Your best bet would be to play around on the Zeiss Rapid Z ballistic calculator and see which one matches your load(s) best. I would think that the 4.5-14 w/ RapidZ 800 would be the most versatile. That would be my choice (although I did just slap a 6.5-20 w/ Varmint 600 on my LRH 7mm Rem Mag, and it matches the 168gr HSM Berger load out to 600 according to the calculater and a 260yd zero)

John M. was selling a 4.5-14 w/ Z800 and target turrets in the optics classified section for a good price.

WTS-Zeiss 4.5X14X50

You should check it out!

Hope this helps in some way; good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

If you pick the z type reticule, there is a program that will help you match ballistics. I just find the listed drops for reticule and look at baliistic data for load and get the drops that way ffor starting. Then i field verify, put sticker on gun, I also split the marks and note that on my drops.+ use dials if plenty of time.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Gold Member

I use the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 scopes for long range wit the #20 Z-plex, I don't care for the BDC,long rang reticles at all.They are not the accurate way to shoot long range.I can't stand a bunch of extra lines and circles in my view. Just enter all your info on JBM ballistics and turn your turret for accurate shooting.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

The answer to your specific question is the RapidZ 800 is the best reticle for your load.
For instance, using the calculator on the Zeiss website, if you are shooting the 160 Accubond at 3150 fps then you will be very close to just shooting long distance at the maximum power of 14 and the lines will be

200 yds zero
294 yd first line down
395 yd second line down
496 yd third line down
600 yd 4th line down
706 yd 5th line down
814 yd 6th line down

I have several types of ballistic reticles and target turrets and really like the RapidZ 800. It has not bothered me with being too busy and once zeroed I don't have to worry about whether the turret moved or where I am. It is also much quicker to use for hunting purposes, if quickness is needed.

Target turrets are more accurate at the longer distances if you have the time, input all your data into your calculator correctly, your turrets have not moved around a full circle and your scope accurately to a fine degree moves the reticle the correct amount everytime when counting clicks (and returns).

The Zeiss is an excellent scope, very clear with excellent contrast. Once zeroed that is it, no screwing around with it and there is a certain degree of comfort that comes with that. That will add confidence and let you concentrate on all the other factors involved in long distance shooting.

YMMV