Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Question for USED Glass, Leupod, Bushnell, Vortex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Re: Question for USED Glass, Leupod, Bushnell, Vortex

I would not be afraid to look at the Sightron SII Big Sky series either. I have 2 SIII and a Big Sky and it is a very nice piece of optics at a reasonable price and a great warranty but I never had to use it.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombeckj View Post
I know Weaver was not mentioned but should be.
I was positively surprised by the Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical, not so much with the 1-5x24. From a tactical point it doesn't match the Viper PST in features but costs less and has better glass. On the negative side the illumination is pretty useless, way too bright to use f.e. in moonlight.

Just for kicks I took out 3 rifles last night in 3/4 moon; heavy "tactical" 6.5x55 with the Weaver, my main rifle SAKO AIII 7RM with Zeiss Victory Diavari 3-12x56 and a suppressed 300BLK with 3g night vision. Was looking across a field up to 500 yards. I could have seen to hunt large game with the Zeiss all the way down the field while the Weaver also would have provided me clear shots on some of the more brighter spots. Many scopes even at that price range would have been impossible to see much of anything. Definitely good enough to make a shot at legal shooting hours. Nightvision, well, we don't need to go there.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

Won't go Bushnell anymore, had a problem with them. Going Vortex!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
Out of the 3 this would be my choice. Leupold's are overpriced for what you get and the Viper has mediocre glass. Elite 6500 has decent glass and useable power range that doesn't hinder you too much on shorter shots.

If you want a new scope, and German glass that outperforms any of the 3 you mentioned, give Minox a consideration. Schott (Zeiss) glass, either 4-20x50 or 6-30x56 for your magnification requirements and well within your budget especially if you buy a demo unit. I have gone through quite a few scopes in the last few years and Minox is my favorite budget level scope at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
Went back to your post to read your shooting range and I'm with Scot on the power range. I feel 6x is way too high for your short range so I would scratch the Leupy and Viper models you were thinking of. I don't care for the Viper but I would rather get their 4-16x model. 4.5-30x Elite 6500 is much more "acceptable" in my books but I personally would go with the 2.5-16x model as I doubt you plan to use 7SAUM for varmint sized game.

If you prefer more magnification on the high end, my two top choices in your price range would then be either the Elite 6500 Tactical 4.5-30x50 or 4-20x50 ZA5. Glass and price advantage goes to the ZA5 but Elite 6500 has features that you might appreciate (tactical turrets, mildot reticle).

I have had both 4.5-30x50 Elite 6500 and Minox ZA5 6-30x56 go through my hands but those have been for people who hunt birds (grouse, capercaillie, geese etc.) at long distances. Not quite as long as you can do with big game but with a small animals that large magnification comes useful and 6x is acceptable since you have plenty of time to prepare for the shot.

As usual, just my ramblings on the subject. Personal opinion so take it as you wish.
So tell me, is your adversity to the Vortex Viper just ramblings or hard fact based on personal experience.

I find that an interesting slam dunk as I have numerous Leupy's and just bought a new Viper 4.5x18x50 on a chance and it was a good chance. Side by side, the Viper compares very favorably with the Leupy VX4 Tactical. In fact, I can't discern any appreciable difference other than price.......

I'm not sure you could find numerous Vipers used, like Leupy's or Bushy's. I suspect very few Minox scopes used too....

Mine won't wind up being sold unless it develops some glaring defect over time.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
So tell me, is your adversity to the Vortex Viper just ramblings or hard fact based on personal experience.
Personal experience. I have owned two Viper PST 4-16x50's. Nice features that are ruined (for me) by the glass. Low light performance in particular.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting and something I don't notice with mine. If I compare the VX4 and the 4.5 side by side in early light or evening, both appear (to me) to be close in light transmission and the Viper is 600 bucks under the Leupy....

Of course any used glass with a transferrable warranty regardless of ownership is a big plus.

Just curious.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Interesting and something I don't notice with mine. If I compare the VX4 and the 4.5 side by side in early light or evening, both appear (to me) to be close in light transmission and the Viper is 600 bucks under the Leupy....
Do you mean MK4? I have not compared VX-III or MK4 side-by-side with a Viper but I did a very long low light comparison between 5 scopes and the Viper came last by a large margin. It was actually last even with decent light. Burris surprisingly had the sharpest (but not the prettiest) picture of them all when there was decent light. Overall Swarovski was easily the best scope and that's not a surprise to anyone.

1. Swarovski Z3 4-12x50
2. Minox ZA5 4-20x50
3. Weaver Tactical 3-15x50
4. Burris Euro Diamond 2.5-10x50
5. Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50