Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Question for USED Glass, Leupod, Bushnell, Vortex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Question for USED Glass, Leupod, Bushnell, Vortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
If you want a new scope, and German glass that outperforms any of the 3 you mentioned, give Minox a consideration. Schott (Zeiss) glass, either 4-20x50 or 6-30x56 for your magnification requirements and well within your budget especially if you buy a demo unit. I have gone through quite a few scopes in the last few years and Minox is my favorite budget level scope at the moment.
I was going to recommend the Minox also. I don't know that I would go so far as to say that it outperforms Leupold but it is a lot of glass for the money. I have a ZA-5 4-20X and it's a fantastic scope, it compares very favorably with my MK4 as far as optical performance. Cameraland has great deals on the open box scopes and there was a $50.00 rebate. All in, mine was about $350.00 after rebate.

Bob
Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
I was going to recommend the Minox also. I don't know that I would go so far as to say that it outperforms Leupold but it is a lot of glass for the money. I have a ZA-5 4-20X and it's a fantastic scope, it compares very favorably with my MK4 as far as optical performance.
Aren't those scopes using same glass (VX-III & MK4)? Anyways, while Leupold's are nice scopes you can forget about getting value for the money.

One of the best used scope values currently I think is Kahles. I paid $500 for a very good condition Kahles Helia C 2.5-10x50 on another forum and $600 (after tax) for a demo 1.5-6x42 from SWFA. Optically a big step above Minox and the others mentioned. Not quite Zeiss Victory or Swaro Z6 but those are unfair comparisons for just about any other scope out there (dare I say even S&B).
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member

The scopes you are thinking about are all good scopes. It basically comes down to personal preferance and which one is your favorite. Some only buy a certain brand name ..... period.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

I ended up going with the 6500. The final decision for me was the low magnification and the high end too. The 4.5 would serve the close shots and the 30 could help out At the range We will see I guess

Like leupolds but my last vx3 had unreliable turrets, leupold said it was fine. It will keep a zero but it takes 20-30 shots to zero cause the adjustments are hit and miss

Minox, hear great things on the glass, but than reviews online for the mechanics seem iffy

My go to glass for price and hunting scopes I don't dial has been the Nikon monarchs, hold zero, clear glass. I also have a zeiss conquest 4.4-14 and it's my favorite so far, I'll put the bushnell up to that one and let you know what I think. The zeiss box tested great, was just looking for more mag for this gun

Looked through the viper in a store, seems decent too.

Hope the 6500 works out, I'll post my first box test with it, thanks for all the input
Old 02-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

They are very nice scopes IMO. You will be happy!

Good luck!

Scot E.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
Hope the 6500 works out, I'll post my first box test with it, thanks for all the input
It's a nice scope! I am contemplating getting one for my .223 varmint rig that had a Viper PST previously. Rest of my scopes on my personal rifles are Zeiss Victories, Kahles Helia's and Minox'es so no crap gets put on them. It's between the 6-30x56 Minox and the Elite and I think Elite is getting the nod because of the low end magnification and it is slightly easier to get the target on your sights. Wouldn't mind a 56mm objective but I can live with a 50mm.

Did you get the tactical version? Used or new? I think new runs from $650 to $750 either with tactical or hunting turrets. Definitely not a bad price for a scope like that. I just wish I could get it in FFP and with similar MRAD reticle that the Viper PST has, those are the things I mostly miss on the PST.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

The only warning I will throw out about the 6500 is once you get past 20X it becomes very hard to adjust for parallax. I bought one and ended up trading it out for that reason. It's a nice thought to have that range of power but It did not really seem to work with the 6500 IMO.

I know Weaver was not mentioned but should be.

Jon