Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Question: Ideas for SAKO scope rings.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

Question: Ideas for SAKO scope rings.

I have a live varmint rifle, SAKO action with a light varmint taper barrel. The integral bases on the receiver have prevented me from using the scope of choice an 8x32 Nightforce scope with the 56mm objective 30mm tube. None of the SAKO rings allow the mounting of this scope. I sold the scope after spending hundreds of dollars on rings trying to make it work. I wonder if anyone has come a cross a solution for this problem? I would like to put a rail on the action and go with S&B 34mm tube scope, Badger rings. Any hope with this or just forget it and move on? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 08:33 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Question: Ideas for SAKO scope rings.

They all suck. The scope mounting system is my only gripe with Sako. Why can't they just have the receiver drilled and tapped like every other gun manufacturer. With that said, I will say I like the Burris bases the best. It is the only mounting system that gives you much windage control. I am not however impressed with the strength of the metal these are made off. Seems a bit soft to me. I would think with these bases and a set of extra high or even high leupold rings you could get the 56 mm to fit.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

Thank you Bill Bailey for the tip! I wish I could get a rail on this rifle!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

Contact Richard Near at Near Manufacturing. www.scopebases.com
He makes a base for Sako's which is taper dovetailed to match up with the receiver. The receiver does need to be drilled and taped for the base, but what you end up with is a rock-solid platform which will accept any picatinney style ring. Richard is a pleasure to deal with and will be happy to discuss your needs by phone.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

I used one of Richard Near's tapered bases on my Sako. It was a dream come true and solid as a rock. I did not drill and tap the receiver. I epoxy bedded it and seated it as far forward as it would go with a block of wood and hammer. After all it could only move forward with the recoil and that just would tend to make it tighter the way the base mates up with the receiver. I used the Burris 30mm Extra High Signature Zee rings (weaver style) and they gave lots of scope clearence. If you talk to Richard you can ask him about my mounting method and tell him Sam said hello. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

Conetrol makes a really nice, strong setup for Sako's too.

And yes, Optilocs SUCK!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]......sakofan...
Old 03-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Many thanks Stugotz! I called Badger Ordnance and was told that they had seen SAKO at the SHOT SHOW with one two years ago. This was mounted on one of there rifles. My action is a 597, one they no longer list. I will get a hold of Richard on Monday. Again thank you! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]