Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

A question of base screws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Bronze Member

A question of base screws

For all those more knowledgable than me. I am mounting a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scope (20.4 ounces) on a Farrel (no recoil lug I think) 20 MOA base with TPS TSR "W" 30mm rings. Do I need to have the reciever and base redrilled and tapped for #8-40 screws or are the standard ones adequate? Thanks,

-John
Old 06-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: A question of base screws

John,

What is your rifle chambered for? This is not an overly heavy scope but it will depend on the recoil level of your rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Bronze Member

Re: A question of base screws

Oops sorry, .300 win mag. I though I put that in there. Goes to show read the post.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Bronze Member

What do the gunsmiths think?

Any 'smiths like to comment. I sure would appreciate it.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What does anybody think?

Boy hard to wrangle an answer out of somebody here these days. Alright I'll try this. Is anyone here using a tactical style scope, base and rings? If so, are the base screws 8-40 or 6-48? If they are 6-48 have you had any problems with them. If you could describe the scope/ring/base setup along with the caliber that would be great. Thanks.

-John
Old 06-26-2005, 01:44 PM
daveosok

I wasnt here yesterday or the better part of today to answer your question.
I have a 300 wsm with a 26 in barrel 1 in muzzle diameter and a laredo style winchester stock, It has a muzzle break and is somewhat heavy. The base is a Ken Farrel no moa slope, the rings are IOR Valdada medium height. The scope is a Night Force 8-32 X 56.
I followed the instructions from the Farrel base and "glued" the base to the action and then installed the rings, made a ring lapper for 30mm scope tube diameter and lapped the rings. Installed the scope and havent had any probelms with it moving. This rifle is not of factory sporter weight standards and is more along the lines of heavy varmint or a tad over it.
The scope hasnt moved and the base is held on with the stock screw holes the 6-48 or whatever thread pitch they are but they arent 8 series. I torqued them down to the recommned value and removed the excess "gluing compound" it doesnt have a recoil lug for the base.
For extreme use 8-32 screws offer a tad bit more security but imo, unless your dropping out of a c-130 halo style and are going to hike it 20 clicks to your destination in the mountains of Afganistan I dont think it matters much.
If you have a good scope, good and proper set-up on your base and rings your scope shouldnt move with the 300 win mag but this is just my opinion and you know what they say about those.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for responding. What did you glue the base down with?

-John