Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Question about quick change scope rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 08:56 PM

Question about quick change scope rings?

Have a 300 wby mag with Lazermark stock and stainless barrel. Looking at a high end scope (Schmidt, Kahles, Zeiss, or the like) but have been reading about quick disconnect rings...does this mean I could share this scope on a couple of rifles? Is this worth it? Do you have to re-sight the scope each time (logic would dictate this but ??)
Old 07-14-2006, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Question about quick change scope rings?

jvc,

A lot of people will purchase Quick Detachable rings just for that reason. It gives them the opportunity to change the scope from one rifle to another. The scope may have to be adjusted somewhat because good chances you are change the point of impact due to the different ballistics of the other rifle.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Gold Member

Re: Question about quick change scope rings?

Id go with some quality picatinny rail and rings. Detach rings just mean, in my opinon, that there is a lever in the base of the rings so that you dont need a key to unscrew the base screws/nut. At the end of the day it is just a matter of having the little tool with you. UNless you go with the swing base european type ( ie apel), but I dont trust them as much as a picat or similar non-rotational system.

My opinion is that in any case, you better check POI after installing the scope or changing it. Good mounts will hold almost same POi.

For lever type rings, Id go with a pair of Talley.