Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 10:51 AM

question

if you had around 500 dollars to spend on binos what would you go with
Old 12-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member

Re: question

Nikons, and then put the extra money you had leftover towards that credit card payment and get out of debt quicker......at least that's what I did.

Scott
Old 12-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

I have a pair of Minox 10x43 HG apsh, love them. Personally have compared them to swaro's and can't tell much difference. Cameraland did have them for 579. List is about 1000. Give Doug at Cameraland a call.
My. 02
Jeff
Old 12-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

I have the Nikon and it is great, but if I had to do it over I would get the Cannon with digital stabilization. They are both less than $400. I went hunting for Brown bear in Alaska and the guides had Zeise & Steiners & i had Nikon and the other hunter had the Cannon with digital stabilization. They were all 10x.We all thought the Cannon was much better because you could glass for hours and not get dizzy or get a head ache.

joseph

PS: "Seeing" is believing.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:07 PM

i was thinking about the leupold tacticals 10 by 50 or the vortex viper 12 by 50 are on sale at cameralandny
Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 PM

are the minox 8.5 by 52 br asph is there a rangefinder built in
Old 12-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Gold Member

My suggestion would be to buy used and go with Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss or newer Leupys. The high end Nikons are great as well as the high end Minox (the mid range minox are junk). The newer Leupold Gold Rings are about the best buy I have found/used especially with the euro exchange these days. If you are going to have your eyes in the glass for hours like we do in the west, you will get fatigue unless you buy quality. Use them on a tripod as well, big dif. If you are just lifting to your eyes to check out objects and not searching for hours such as heavy timber stalking then a mid range set is probably just fine. You will have these for ever and appreciate and use a great pair so dont skimp. I spend hours behind glass every year and every "bargain" set I have purchased has eventually disapointed.

Also you cant hold the 12s very long with out a tripod so stick with the 10 or less power.

Last edited by dig; 12-25-2010 at 10:09 AM.