Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Putting Nikon lifetime warranty to the test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Putting Nikon lifetime warranty to the test

I picked up a used Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44 recently. It is not tracking properly.

There is a 3MOA (12 click) spot in the elevation knob that causes no movement at all in the relative position of the reticle. The rest of the rotation produces erratic and inconsistent adjustments.

I shipped the scope to Nikon's Warranty repair facility in Torrance California today. Will keep you all posted on how this turns out.

The Scope came with a full lifetime warranty, regardless if you are the original owner, so we'll see.

MM
Old 09-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Putting Nikon lifetime warranty to the test

Marine, Sakofan says they're as good as Leupold, but from what I've heard from a local gunshop owner, it's not that good, some people have all the bad luck I guess, good luck on yours, I'm sure they'll fix it, I've looked through the scope you've got at Scheel's sporting goods, and it seems like a really good scope, all in all, how do you like the scope, as far as clarity and such? Semper Fi, Jay
Old 09-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Jay,

The optical quality seems better than my Leupolds. Overall it seems like a great scope. Rugged. Real nice turrets. Nice reticle. Very solid feel to it.

At this point I feel confident that Nikon will stand behind their product. Time will tell.

MM
Old 09-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Silver Member

Here's a pic, alongside Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Gold Member

Yeah, I like the Nikon's, as Jay says.

All scopes fail. I do like the optical quality of the Nikon over the Leupold VX III.
But, time will tell if Nikon will live up to the toughness of the Leupold products.

I am also curious how fast the turn around is on your scope, MM

I really tought the Nikon tac. was a real nice scope. Love the turrets!..Good luck, and keep us posted..sakofan..
Old 10-06-2003, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

Recieved a repair notice from Nikon in the mail today. Scope is being repaired. Cost to me is $00.00.

Nikon has a website where you can check on service status by entering name and service order number. I thought "holy ****, they must get a lot of repair work" but on further thought, considering all the myriad of optical stuff they make, it is understandable.

So far so good...

MM
Old 10-09-2003, 04:01 AM
Silver Member

Quick turnaround at Nikon. Scope is on the way back to me. Delivery scheduled on 13 Oct (UPS).

MM