Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

pst or vx3??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

pst or vx3??

I know this has been on here probably but I'm looking for a scope for my 7mm. I would like to get 1000+ out of it. So I am wondering what is the advantage to the PST? I don't care that its illuminated. Also I have zero stops for leupold Scopes. Is there something else that makes the pst superior in your opinion?

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: pst or vx3??

Is this for hunting or long range target shooting?

joseph
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I know this has been on here probably but I'm looking for a scope for my 7mm. I would like to get 1000+ out of it. So I am wondering what is the advantage to the PST? I don't care that its illuminated. Also I have zero stops for leupold Scopes. Is there something else that makes the pst superior in your opinion?
I have the same question.. Always been a Leupold guy, but the PSTs have some great features for the bucks. If I went VX3 it would be through the custom shop with M1 turrets and a mil dot reticle though....
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 PM

I to am looking into the pst scopes. Hoping for some responses.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I sold my vx3 and replaced it with a pst for three main reasons that may or may not matter to you

1. Easier to dial in drop and windage
2. Slightly better glass
3. Reticle was more advanced combined with the ffp

Both are great scopes but the pst had more of the features I was looking for plus slightly better glass.

I prefer vortex customer service but both companies are good to work with.

My 2 cents
Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

Naturally, it depends on what you want to accomplish with the scope and I can't speak directly to the VX-3, but I have both the Mark 4 4.5 - 14 X 50 LRT M1 illuminated TMR and the PST 6 - 24 X 50 with the MOA reticle. They are close but I like the glass on the PST better than the Mark 4. The PST does have a zero stop but it is done with shims and I didn't even have enough shims with the scope until I put a 20 moa rail under it. I would take the PST over the Mark 4 if push came to shove but that is with the tactical turrets. If you are hunting you might want a lower turret like the VX-3 but you would want it to be the "long range" version with the side parallax adjustment. Again, it depends on the application.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Is this for hunting or long range target shooting?

joseph
Tikkamike still has not answered my question. Until he does I can not give him the correct answer. I have a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope and have an important observation which will make a big difference in which scope he chooses.

joseph