Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Proof Research custom rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Proof Research custom rifles

I was wondering If any one has any experience on their custom guns,I spoke with Proof Research about a long range hunting rig to and they are pretty expensive I was looking to do a 300 ultra mag throated for 210 burgers extended mag box one of their custom stocks a Jewell trigger and their carbon wrapped barrel and a titanium muzzle break and and a custom action I was told that they bought out three leading companies Lone wolf stocks and two others the guy I spoke with was very helpful and had good awnsers for all my questions but the price will knock your socks off and one other thing the accuracy guarantee was out of this world and he told me that they test the rifles at 100 yds,500 yds and 1000 yds and give you the targets.Now I hand load for every thing and get real in depth wit every thing when It comes to long-range shooting I was told that 100 group size would be in the 3/8 of an inch range now for the part that will make you puke the price$ 5,900,now I am bu no means cheep but are they worth this kind of cash or would I just be throwing a lot of extra cash away.and the custom action is a defiance machine with a little machine work to reduce overall weight. Any info from you guys would be great... THANKS
Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Proof Research custom rifles

1 word answer....NO!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Bettin Customs builds the same type rifles,for less.Have heard good about them.You can get your own actions from Defiance,they make a light weight ,sheep hunter model,depending on caliber.MPI ,makes a stock of same type as Lonewolf. You can usually get a good smith of your choice to use components you like.There is a company just down from Proof that does a 3/8 '' goal at 100.They do alot of tactical type rifles,have seen many shot at range,very accurate.But will build what customer wants.There was a post recent on carbon barrels and Fifty driver replied,a real excellent post on ABS.Try a search.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Gold Member

I see your from Pa. talk to Bobby Hart or even 'Fifty Driver' aka Kirby Allen here on this site. There are alot of good 'smiths right here. 6k is a lot of cha-ching i'm sure you could get a very nice rig for less that would cover most of if not all the glass too.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

$6k is a lot of cha-ching but it's hard to do a high end custom build for much less. I am having a .375 CheyTac built and the Smith is keeping his profit margin low but by the time all is said and done, we'll still be over $5k. And I am going to go with the ABS barrel. If they promise 3/8" MOA, then that's what I'll expect.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

You can easily build a excellent custom long range rifle with top notch parts for $3,000 without glass
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Bronze Member

No rifle is worth 6k! unless we're talking about 1k heavy guns. I would bet my own money they won't out group my 3k, cheapo junk at 1k, on any day, EVER!

That being said, the blanks they will be using are excellent, as good as anything out there.

Tom