Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Power Adjustment Problem on Sightron SIII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Bronze Member

Power Adjustment Problem on Sightron SIII

I was just wondering if it is normal for the power adjustment to be really hard to turn. I can get it with one hand but it sure is harder to turn then my cheap Barska, which is the same power, and harder to turn than about any scope I've ever come across. Just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong with it. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Power Adjustment Problem on Sightron SIII

The power ring on mine turns easily. If you overtighten the scope ring near the power adjustment ring, it is possible put the power adjustment ring in a bind.

In fact, it's possible to literally deform the scope tube by torquing the scope rings down too tight.

I've had the power adjustment ring on my 3-18 IOR 35mm tubed scope start to tighten up on me when tightening down the rear scope ring more than necessary. And this is one beefy scope tube. When I loosened that scope ring back up, the power adjustment ring then again turned much more easily. Deform the scope tube in that area and the bind on the power ring is potentially permanent.

My suggestion - try loosening up the rear scope ring and see if the power adjustment ring turns easier.

Last edited by phorwath; 04-16-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:09 AM

Re: Power Adjustment Problem on Sightron SIII

I have a new one that has never been mounted and the power adjustment is hard to turn. I think it is because of the tight rubber seal. I have been working it back and forth and it has loosened it up a lot.

GC