Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Post 2...Swaro vs Vectronix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Gold Member

Post 2...Swaro vs Vectronix

I have read on this website that the Vectronix Terrapin is quite a rangefinder. I was just checking E-Bay to see what thay are selling for. The terripin is around $2100 and the PLRF10 is over $3500...the PLRF25 is 8500+!! We all know that a swaro is around 900 - 950. Now, I have gotten repeatable yardages out to 1720...a big, shear cliff..during good ranging hours..(near dark). Getting readings over 1000 yards on EVERYTHING doesn't happen that often, and things are going down hill fast. See "post 1"

Just how good, or more to the point, how much better is the Terrapin than the Swaro" How about the PLRF10 over the Terapin. I won't even ask about the 25!! Ya..I read their website..just wanting some real world opinions. My guess is that everyone who owns a Vectronix started with much lesser rangefinders and worked their way up.

Anyone....
Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Post 2...Swaro vs Vectronix

I went from a Swaro to the PLR10 (Terrapin wasn't out then) because I was having issues getting good ranges on deer and antelope on open, fairly flat terrain. I still use the Swaro as my "carry" rangefinder and the PLR10 stays in my longe range bag.

With the PLR10 set on a good tripod, I have gotten solid ranges on antelope out to 1800 yards. By that I mean three ranges in a row within 1 yard. Deosn't get much better than that! Frankly, I haven't tried past 1800 as that is well beyond my effective hunting range without stretching it. They are awesome units.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't access to the Swaro or PLRF-05. I've conducted one session's worth of comparison between the Leica 1600 and PLRF-10.

As far as ranging distance goes, they aren't in the same league. I'm confident that either the 15 or 10 will out range, under similar conditions, any other common name brand range finder.

I spent a whole day in the mountains with the Leica 1600. Under what I would call ideal ranging conditions, heavy cloud cover and after sunset, I got readings @ 1994 yards "fairly repeatedly. Ranges @ 1884 yards "every time" and consistent.

Up to those distances ranging was no problem excepting some foliage, sage brush dirt side hills beyond 1k that wouldn't range at all.

Ranged deer and antelope across the flats by scanning from sky to animal to below the animal out to 900 yards and had great confidence that I was able to range the animal accurately and repeatedly.

While I would really like to have either of the PLRFs until I'm going to take animals beyond 1500 yards the LRF I have will suit me fine.

Oh, LRFs don't seem to work AT ALL, in heavily snow laden foliage.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

I too purchased the PLRF10 before the Terripin was out. I have owned 5 Swaro units. 4 Leica's, and have tested the Zeiss and the G7-BR2. The Vectronix is expensive, but it is the real deal. I have ranged elk at 2500 yards and it was indeed ranging the elk. A shot over the back of the elk produced a range of 7 yards farther to the hillside. I have ranged antelope this year at 800, 972, 1005 and 1285 with my PLRF10. All goats dropped DRT to a single shot. The RF must be ranging the animal for this kind of performance. The ranging crosshairs of the PLRF10 are precise, you can hold it on a yote at 1500 plus. The beam is very small, powerful and precise. The fire button fires on release for a steady consistent movement much like a jewel trigger and this allows staying on target. As Roy said the Leica 1600 is a great unit and will work for most hunters. But if you want to range an animal with no excuses to 2500 plus yards Go Vectroniox. I have ranged to 2990 yards in full light on trees with mine. And I have ranged as far as I could see in light to moderate snow (800 yards)

Jeff
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

I was using the Swaro 8x30's RF and 10x42 RFB and had a lot of trouble ranging antelope this year on my hunt. The area was very flat, it was cloudy with a light mist. The RFB would not range beyond 300 yards and the 8x30 RF went a few hundred yards further on antelope. My buddy had the Busnell ARC 1600 which seemed close to my 8x30 RF, but not better. It was a tough hunt because of the inconsistent readings, however, I was able to take a nice goat later in the day.

I took the swaro set with me on a Wym antelope hunt, which had more hills and landmarks to range. Here both sets worked well to about 1700 yards. Go figure, the flat plains in NM could not be lasered well, at least by me.

After, my hunts, another buddy introduced me to the Vectronix PLRF 05 and I bought one and have not looked back. Although I have not used it for a hunt yet, it has lasered stuff out to 2400 yrds so far. I can't wait to test it on a hunt next year.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Gold Member

Sigh.......I JUST paid off my cabellas Visa card yesterday. Felt pretty good about that. Looks like it might take another lickin before the new years.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 AM

There are three units that I like,

The Swarovski Range Bino 10x42 clear, great ranging, get it done, but hard to come by right now due to demand.

Leica's Geovids are my favorite, but "rumor" has it they have a new one coming out soon. When I get more info around Dec 1st I can post it here, a LRH exclusive. I will say from what I do know of them, if you are planning on buying a set of Bino-Rangefinder YOU NEED TO WAIT!!!!! You will want to kill your self if you don't get these. Lets just say us in the Long range, hand loading, slightly mental/anal LR shooting world NEED the new Leicas. Also Leica, have less issues with their warranties and rarely have issues, unlike Swaro which is more common though they take care of them 100% every time.

Vectonix are great as well and get the job done, but I have minimal experience with them.

Lastly just be aware of Grey Market optics, make sure your Optics are purchased through Swarovski USA, Leica USA or what ever. A lot of distributors purchase direct from Austria, Germany or Asia sell them for about 100-200 bucks cheaper, but their USA counterparts will not warranty them you need to ship them back to Europe. One customer I have did that to save a few hundred and when his Swarovski's were damaged he had to send them back to Austria to get repaired. Swaro USA would not touch them. Cost him about $150 in shipping and 6 months later he got them back. Not good.

Anyway just my two cents.

Shoot Straight,

Tony