Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Possible savage build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Possible savage build?

Just picked up a stock savage 116 bear hunter in .300 RUM. I got it on a trade from another forum member. It's stainless steel, with a 26 inch fluted barrel, with a muzzle break, and a camo stock. It is pre-accutrigger. Can anyone give me ideas about a possible build? I want a heavy duty, long range rig. Caliber, barrel, stock, trigger, and gunsmith advice is all welcomed. I am kind of on a budget to add to the mix, around 1500. If you have a similar rifle can you post pics? Any advice welcomed. I fat fingered the thread. Can anyone move this to the rifle, barrel, and bullets forum, please?

Last edited by 300whisper; 08-03-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 08-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Possible savage build?

Put a scope on it and see how it shoots at long-range. If it shoots good you will have your rifle already. JMTC

joseph
Old 08-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Bronze Member

Sounds like you already have a pretty solid long range rig. I'll be the second to tell you to scope it and shoot it. Maybe tune up the trigger with a lighter spring (.043 music wire) unless it's already been done. The preaccutrigger 3 screws can be tuned up very nicely to around 2#. Maybe epoxy bed the stock. The .300RUM is plenty of rifle often too much and mine shoots the factory Remington 180gr sirocco bondeds very well. I wouldn't recommend the full house loads for white tails though. Turns em to purple mush at 250 yards with an exit a bowling ball would fit in. If you need more gun then the .300rum can be very easily converted to a .338 edge with a barrel swap. Good luck
Old 08-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

I would agree that putting a scope on it and developing some loads is all you need. I think McGowen is selling a pre-chambered Savage 338 edge barrel with a break installed for $500.00 now. If you needed more gun, that is the route I would take.