Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Point of impact change while changing power on VXIII LRT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: Point of impact change while changing power on VXIII LRT?

[ QUOTE ]
Hello... The reticle is NOT located in the "erector tube" - if it was, you could NOT adjust the elevation and windage. Also, the reticle MUST be located in one of the image planes, and there is NO image plane in the erector cell.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's perfectly feasible for an image plane to be in the erector tube as opposed to the erector cell - most modern FFP scopes are proof of that.

A SFP reticle COULD be also in the erector tube, but it's technically easier to mount rectilinearly with the outer tube.

POI shift with SFP zooms is pretty commonplace - though not normally in mid/high optics. It gets more visible the further you adjust off optical axis.

I'd send back as as unacceptable.

Oh - And I have to agree with Brown Dogs closing statement. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Gold Member

Sorry Chris... but what you said is not technically possible.

Read this to find out why...

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Parallax.asp

LRH member #23
Old 01-05-2007, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

Look at this - I have a better one somewhere (S&B) and a and a PHOTO of a cutaway - will keep looking. Also have some russian factory drawings.

This I think is how Hakko were doing things - came off HORUS site.

And I <ahem> take scopes apart REGULARLY. Not S&B's you understand.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

Not sure if this helps but

This

looked like this

inside.

Nš3 most definitely was the reticle - mounted upside down of course and nš4 the erectors - it was the precursor of this

in whose development I was actively involved.

POI shift in SFP zooms is a known fact of life. An expensive scope should not exhibit much - maybe 1 click or two max. I've seen TASCOS shift 10MOA.

It is documented as more common on VXII than VXIII Leupolds.

As an aside sloppy sidewheel and AO mech's as well as sloppy ocular adjusters can cause POI shift too - not just poor zoom controls and erector cams.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

I thought you all forgot about me. I did call Leupold and they said try it first and if it shifts no problem to fix. I tried all my other 1" variable Leupold scopes and the lazer dot is constant no matter what power they were set on. I would have bet money the LRT was defective.

I finally got a break in the weather last week end and got to spend some time on the bench with it. 3 shots on 25 power. 1/2 group as usual shooting from the bipod over the folding table. I spun it down to 8.5 and ran 3 more right into the same group. No detectable group shift! I'm glad I didn't send it in or bet any one. There must be some simple explanation but why doesn't any of my other scopes do this?

My faith is totally restored in this and all Leupold scopes.

No who from Coos County wants to go beat up on my steel targets in less than perfect weather? It's no fun without witnesses.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.