Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Point of impact change while changing power on VXIII LRT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Point of impact change while changing power on VXIII LRT?

I just got a new laser bore-sighter and decided to see how close it was on my rifle that was just at the range yesterday. It was very close but I noticed something very disturbing when I played with the zoom on my scope. This is a brand new VXIII 8.5-25x50 LRT 30mm scope with the varmint reticle. At 200 yards the cross hairs move up from just under the 200 yard center bulls eye to centered between the 300 and 400 hairs or about 5" vertically in relation to the laser point when I zoom from 8.5 to 25. I haven't confirmed with actual shooting as I never zoom the scope lower than 25 power for shooting. I have a bunch variable scopes and they all live on their highest power.

If I ever had to turn the zoom that far down the trajectory is going to change a bunch as well and would need to be compensated for anyway. I will be range testing this later this next weekend.

Iím also wondering that since the change is purely vertical that there is some sort of other phenomena here that is explainable. With a variable range I expected the laser to appear higher and lower and it does, but on a fixed range just moving the power ring, I did not expect that much movement. The AO did have any affect on the elevation change as I was holding still and having my son run the zoom and AO so I could watch it move. It didnít matter exactly what we were aiming at as the relationship that was changing was the crosshair intersection to the where the bore was pointing.

I will be testing all my scope eventually especially my 8-32 BD and the scopes on my rim fire rifles as they are the only ones that ever get the power rings moved for shooting.

Has anyone ever noticed this before? Is it fixable or really not an issue?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Point of impact change while changing power on VXIII LRT?

I'll be interested in your test results.

Just for grins try your other eye and see if the condition changes.

Also do the the "cross hairs" straight or crooked.

This reponse may seem strange but it happened to me.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

It does the same thing for everyone that looks through it. The dot stays right on line throught the elevation changes from the elevation turret.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Gold Member

If you are using the laser at close range, don't worry.

Try the gun at the range at high and low powers with real bullets.

LRH member #23
Old 01-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Hired Gun, it's not a common problem but you see it once in a while with Leupolds. The reticle cell is not centered within the erector tube, seen it more than once. Send it back to Leupold, they have pretty good customer service, they'll know what the problem is.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Hired Gun, it's not a common problem but you see it once in a while with Leupolds. The reticle cell is not centered within the erector tube, seen it more than once. Send it back to Leupold, they have pretty good customer service, they'll know what the problem is.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Hello... The reticle is NOT located in the "erector tube" - if it was, you could NOT adjust the elevation and windage. Also, the reticle MUST be located in one of the image planes, and there is NO image plane in the erector cell.

The reticle is located behind the "erector cell" (the proper term), and is in a fixed mount.

How did you see it more than once??? Curious minds want to know.

Read this and get some edjumacation:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Parallax.asp

-

Hired Gun...

DON'T waste your time sending it back to Leupold. If you send it back and tell them that it's broke cuz you used a bore sighter, they will laugh so loud that they will be heard in New York City.

Do the smart thing and take it to the range, adjust the eye piece properly, and focus the objective for the range you are using, and then shoot the damn thing.

LRH member #23
Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

Catshooter,

Firstly, I know very little about scope internals [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Secondly, I think you may have misread the original problem posted.

The issue has nothing to do with the laser; that is incidental information.

The fellow is getting an apparent zero shift when viewing a 200yd target and changing power setting.

...unless of course I've misread it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As such, misalignment of the 'whatever' cell seems a reasonable cause...(to my optically unedjumacated brain).

(...and why you former colonials buy 2nd plane scopes is beyond me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])