Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 PM

please help!

hello all,

i am new to this site and the main reason i joined was to get an informed opinion on the optics to run on my new rifle. it is a remmington 700p in 300 win mag. i am looking for a scope that will last, i have a flexible budget of basicly under 1500ish. i am looking to shoot steel at 1k pluss and white tails to 800.

i am thinking the leupold VX3 6.5 -20 x 40 LR (30mm tube) and ordering it from the custom shop with M1 turets for windage and elevation and posibly sending i back later for the TMR or mildot reticle (it will come with a fine duplex).

if there are any other optic options i should consider or concerns with the VX3 choice please let me know.

thanks
-tyler-
Old 06-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: please help!

Good mornin' Tyler,

Welcome to the board. Its a good spot.

Your scope selection and turret idea is good. I'd recommend considering a larger objective lens. A 50mm is better than a 40 for passing light. A 56mm gets a bit unwieldy. The 30mm tube does nothing to affect light passage but adds to the adjustment.

For shooting paper the 40mm would be fine. If you could convince the deer to present themselves at high-noon the 40mm would be fine also. The 50mm will be much more useful at either end of the day.

HTH.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Good mornin' Tyler,

Welcome to the board. Its a good spot.

Your scope selection and turret idea is good. I'd recommend considering a larger objective lens. A 50mm is better than a 40 for passing light. A 56mm gets a bit unwieldy. The 30mm tube does nothing to affect light passage but adds to the adjustment.

For shooting paper the 40mm would be fine. If you could convince the deer to present themselves at high-noon the 40mm would be fine also. The 50mm will be much more useful at either end of the day.

HTH.
+1 for the 50mm

J E CUSTOM