Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Please explain R2 reticle advantages.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

Please explain R2 reticle advantages.

Everyone here seems to praise the Nightforce R2 reticle.

I know nothing about them. They interest me. Can anyone explain why everyone loves them?
Old 01-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Please explain R2 reticle advantages.

Dixie,

Do you happen to be an archer - if so, do you shoot a bow with sight pins? R2 is the same thing for smokepoles!

Put another way...

I have found through testing that none of my scopes (Leupold VXIII, VXII, (2) Bausch and Lomb Elite 4200 and (2) Nightforces) perform the way most people think they do after an elevation adjustment.

Specifically, they all "settle in". That is, the POI creeps slightly after an adjustment. Even the mighty Nightforce. This one creeps about 3/8 to 1/2 MOA... Takes two shots to settle down. Also, extreme cold affects the adjustment as well, causing additional erratic affects on the adjustment of the erector tube.

Now, what if we could shoot from (in my case, 100 to 1200 yards) without adjusting elevation? Well, that's the big benefit of the R2.

Oh, it allows for passive ranging of targets, and, uh, it looks cool... But the big benefit to me is the ability to quickly and accurately produce a shot at anything but insane ranges without having to move anything. Right now, 0 to 1200 or so is my limit on game anyway due to my skill level. So it fits me perfectly...

Now if we could just get 60 MOA on an R2 reticle - we could shoot waaaayyy out there - look ma, no knobs!

[ 01-05-2004: Message edited by: STL ]
Old 01-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

STL

Cecil Tucker has been doing a conversion for 10 years or more that will stop that creep you are talking. bpdms@aol.com (432) 530-2919. Never heard of anyone who had the conversion ever experienceing creep again.

second way to stop the creep is come up past 5 clicks and then come down. Need up 3 clicks, go up 8 and come down 5.

BH

[ 01-05-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]
Old 01-05-2004, 08:39 AM

Is the R2 something like a mildot. I just got a mildot scope and am learning how to use it. So far I love it and with a little practice ranging and holdover shots should be quite accurate.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Silver Member

BountyHunter, thanks. Respectfully, I believe what I've described, especially with regard to the extreme cold temperature behavior, is part and parcel of systems that depend on movement. The R2 is now so ingrained in my shooting behavior, and is so fast in use, that I have no desire to go back to clicking elevation.

Harv, yes, the R2 functions like a mil-dot, except that the spacing between the ticks is, quite importantly, 2 MOA. This fits the trajectory of many fast, high BC bullets to 600 or 700 yards perfectly.

For instance, look at a picture of the R2... See the main crosshair? On my 30 Wolf, it's sighted dead on at 600 yards. The tick above kills at 500, the tick above that kills at 400, the tick above that kills at 300, the tick above that kills at 200 and 100...

In each case, POI isn't more than .25 MOA or so from the tick mark, which, as I've proven to myself at least, is as good (actually better if you include the creep factor) than the "actual click resolution" of scopes that are dialed for elevation.

From 700 to 1200, the trajectory of the bullet steepens beyond "2 MOA per hundred yards", but I have that mapped out and recorded on a retractable Leupold range tape mounted on the scope. I just use the graduated reticle to perform the holdover.

So, bottom line, call me out a range from 0 to 700 and I can break a clean shot almost immediately. From 700 to 1200 (farther at high elevation, of course), I have to think just a wee bit harder, but it's still much simpler, faster and less prone to user error than clickin'...

Old 01-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

STL,
If you find yourself in the clickin situation ever again, which is unlikely now that you've switched to the dark side [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img], but in case you do, and as BH said above, when I dial "up or to the right", I don't rely on the spring to move the erector tube, so I dial past a minute and then back in against the spring to take up any backlash in the threads that might be present. Recompressing the spring like this has always worked for me, and I don't take chances with my NF either, they all rely on the spring when backing the turret away from the erector tube to keep it tight against it.

Like you though, I use the R2 out to 600 yards and is very fast, mine is still zeroed at 100 yards though.

Ranging with the R2 is much easier and more accurate than mildots too.

Here's something S1 posted a while back:

Half the Size of Target (inches)
________________________ x 100 = Range (Yards)

Size Target (lines)

Notice my modification to the formula for use with the R2 reticle and the 2 moa line (tick mark) spacing.

This cuts each of the numbers in half and makes for quicker math in your head under pressure. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, Brent. I am familiar with the "twist past and back" method you and BH are talking about. The only time I use it is when re-zero time comes, or when I need to shoot past 1200/1300. And I still don't trust it when things get really, really cold...

For hunting, the "past 1300" scenario is really highly unlikely for me, in that I hunt in a mobile fashion from a drag bag (no benches, turrets, shooting huts, humvees or aircraft carriers allowed!).

My personal limitations, the requirement to "travel light", the need to really identify and select my target, hunting in new and unfamiliar terrain, etc, dictate such a realistic limit.

Now, for the non-serious occasional target/plinking blast or like last year with Mach V and his Prarie Dog Hit Squad, shooting out to 2000 or so - well, that's another story and I must submit to clickin'...