Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Picking a low cost, long range scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Picking a low cost, long range scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmj View Post
You asked about sightron scopes. I own a few of these scopes. While I've never cranked the turrets up and down. I have found them to be fairly clear glass and very positive in there movement when sighting in. And they stay put. The advise about buying as nice as you can possible afford and then some will probably save you money in the long run. Good luck
Sorry, It wasn't a sightron scope you were asking about. Must be the reason I usually just read and don't respond. I'll get it all fouled up!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck
Old 01-25-2014, 10:47 AM

If you really cant spend more than $300, i would look in to a nikon with the BDC reticle. I know you said you arent a fan of bdc reticles, but for $300, thats what you get, and I think Nikon has the best one.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

here is one that fits your needs pretty close.

Sightron 3-9x42 SII
weight 13.2 oz
length 12.3"
a whopping 80 moa of Elevation & windage travel

MSRP $323.10
SWFA price..... $247.95

Sightron 3-9x42 SII Riflescope

Sightron Riflescopes SII Series SII39x42

I am currently researching light weight scopes for a light weight Mt hunting rifle I am building, although $400 is my minimum and $1K is max budget...

I am considering the Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope as my minimum ...... yet to decide..
SWFA price $542.95
weight 13.4 0z
length 12.56"
70 moa of Elevation & windage travel

Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope

Sightron Riflescopes SII Series - Big Sky SIIB31242

set it on top of a lightweight 20 moa base
and the 12x will help you with longer range shots

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

The real world price of the Vortex Viper HS-T is $100.00 less than the MSRP listed on the Vortex website, if that makes it any easier on ya.

Rob
Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

Just got a vortex HS-t, for $450. You really can't go wrong with the vortex scopes, you get a lot of features for your money. I have half a dozen of them and I've asked several questions on here regarding their quality, to ease my own mind. Always great reviews, I've pushed them on several friends. I'm really struggling with the "if it ain't nightforce, it ain't worth having" mentality. Fact is I can't afford that many nightforce scopes.... Vortex offers me all the features I'm looking for at a fraction of the cost. I will say however I have a couple diamondback's and there quality is far from the viper as far as image clarity, they do track perfectly and I've dialed to 600 on my 25-06 several times and it always returns to zero.

Just my .02
Old 01-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

I have a Vortex hs t and although I've yet to use it much I must say it does look great. I will second what most say. Save for a little while longer and get a better scope. Threat one is only approx $250 more than your budget. If you buy lesser as I have and learned that you will only cause unneeded frustration and headaches. Buy once cry once.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iclimb View Post
Just got a vortex HS-t, for $450. You really can't go wrong with the vortex scopes, you get a lot of features for your money. I have half a dozen of them and I've asked several questions on here regarding their quality, to ease my own mind. Always great reviews, I've pushed them on several friends. I'm really struggling with the "if it ain't nightforce, it ain't worth having" mentality. Fact is I can't afford that many nightforce scopes.... Vortex offers me all the features I'm looking for at a fraction of the cost. I will say however I have a couple diamondback's and there quality is far from the viper as far as image clarity, they do track perfectly and I've dialed to 600 on my 25-06 several times and it always returns to zero.

Just my .02
Where'd you find a Vortex HS-T for $450?