Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Picking a low cost, long range scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:26 PM

Re: Picking a low cost, long range scope

Please let me clarify then. The Vortex (In my price range) wont do what I want. The HS-T you suggest is 300-400 past my price range according to the Vortex site.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

Unless you can find a scope in that price range with a reticle you like and forget about turrets, you are SOL. Good scopes cost money just like good rifles. No free lunch rule applies. I have tried the cheap route myself and the stuff you get will drive you crazy.

How many rounds of 7mm mag do you have to shoot to cover the $300 price differential ? If your equipment lets you down on a hunt, how much will you be out of pocket ? Skimping on a $550 scope is not a way to end up with reliable equipment. You are not getting the Night force routine here, its an extra $250 and not an extra $1400 .

If Weaver put a decent reticle in their Classic K series scopes, they would be quite useful. I was just sighting in a 308 today and it had a 6x classic K on it. Nice wide field of view at 300 yards. But with no graduations on the reticle and useless turrets, I had to use kentucky windage to hold for drop from 160 - 300 yards. I would not like to do that on a game animal.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Long range optics and low cost optics go together about as well as Obama and a Republican.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Unless you can find a scope in that price range with a reticle you like and forget about turrets, you are SOL. Good scopes cost money just like good rifles. No free lunch rule applies. I have tried the cheap route myself and the stuff you get will drive you crazy.

How many rounds of 7mm mag do you have to shoot to cover the $300 price differential ? If your equipment lets you down on a hunt, how much will you be out of pocket ? Skimping on a $550 scope is not a way to end up with reliable equipment. You are not getting the Night force routine here, its an extra $250 and not an extra $1400 .

If Weaver put a decent reticle in their Classic K series scopes, they would be quite useful. I was just sighting in a 308 today and it had a 6x classic K on it. Nice wide field of view at 300 yards. But with no graduations on the reticle and useless turrets, I had to use kentucky windage to hold for drop from 160 - 300 yards. I would not like to do that on a game animal.
Thatrs not Kentucky windage, thats Michigan windage......
Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

I've heard real good things about the SWFA SS fixed power scopes . They have them from 642 mm-2042 mm. . Lifetime warrentee ans garenteed to work to-50F . . They are 299$ . .
Old 12-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Thatrs not Kentucky windage, thats Michigan windage......
no no it's Arkansas elevation
Old 12-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Bronze Member

You asked about sightron scopes. I own a few of these scopes. While I've never cranked the turrets up and down. I have found them to be fairly clear glass and very positive in there movement when sighting in. And they stay put. The advise about buying as nice as you can possible afford and then some will probably save you money in the long run. Good luck