Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Picking a low cost, long range scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 PM

Picking a low cost, long range scope

Im trying to pick an affordable (below $300.00) scope. I'm using a 7mm mag, I like MOA adjustments over MRAD, mil-lines or hash marks over the mil-dot or ovals. Im willing to trade off the hash marks for computing distance and just use a laser range finder and just go with simple cross hairs if needed to stay in that price range. I dont much care for the BDC (bullet drop compensator). My targets will be small coyotes to larger game all the way out to 1000 yards. I was going to go with a fixed 10x40 or so but as Im getting older, I'm noticing eye vision isn't what it use to be.

Im wondering if 10 power will be enough now and in the future with older eyes and who makes a simple scope to fit my needs?

Last edited by NewB7654; 11-26-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Picking a low cost, long range scope

Check out vortex they ought to have something to suit your needs... also you could watch the used market here good chance you'll find what your looking for.

JWH@406
Old 11-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Try finding a used Nikon Monarch 2 (not the new Monarch 3 !!!) 4-16x50 Nikoplex. The quality of the turrets are great and since they are capped, most people only use then once a season to zero the scope. The turret knobs are graduated in 1/4 min tics and full MOA numbers. The only catch is that if you need more than 12MOA of adjustment you need to consider that there is no "zero stop" on a $300 scope so you have to be diligent to dial up or back down the exact amount and in the right direction.

In the field one can "bore sight" the rifle on an object 50-100 yards away and that will surely let you know if you are off by a full turn in any direction. So it need not be a critical problem unless you are pressed for time. With a 7mm mag, if you zero at 250 yards, that will be a big factor in how far you can shoot with 12 min of elevation (a single turn on the turret).

If you add another $260 you can buy the Vortex HS-T scope. I'm pretty sure you would not regret that decision.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:01 PM

I called Vortex, they said none in mil lines and none in MOA adjustments. Im not a big fan of mrad.

Not finding any used Nikon Monarch II either. (at 1000 yds I'll need 25+- moa adjustment)

Anyone have thoughts on sightmark?
4-16x44 or 8.5-25x50 ---- BOTH in my price range, both 60 MOA, locking turrets. All sounds good but Ive only seen a few reviews from people that actually used them. All were pretty good with a few haters but seemed overall good.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Not sure what you are talking about with the Vortex scopes. Their reticles certainly do have hash marks in either MOA or MIL The turrets are also available (matching the reticle) in MOA or mil.

For the HS-T scope I referenced, here is the reticle in MOA

Here is the same scope with a MIL reticle (will then also have MIL turrets)
Old 12-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

That's quite a bit of error in those reticle values. 1 milliradian (Mil) is equal to 3.44 minutes of arc (MOA) rounded to two decimal places.
1:4 = 4
9:30 = 3.33
5:18 = 3.6

They can't all be right. I wonder which ones are correct at full magnification, if any.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

I'm pretty sure the scale on the MIL reticle is different to the MOA one (in other words not a common etching) and I know for a fact that the pitch of the screws in the turret is not the same either.

You are assuming a LOT sir...