Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Picking a long range scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Silver Member
Re: Picking a long range scope?

Thanks guys. I was in Orofino Idaho today, that's where Nightforce US is based, small world (the steelhead fishing sucked by the way). How much do they cost? There are no prices on the web, is it like a restraunt that has no prices on the menu [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]? As far as magnification goes, I'm just going to have to go with my instinct which tells me that I need something that goes as low as 6X but I don't know how high it should go. Any suggestions for how powerful it should be to say really see a deer clearly, count all the tines, from say 800 yards or even more?

As far as 100 MOA, first off, I hadn't even considered that that wouldn't be enough depending on the cartridge. Learning here. So there is a way to lift it up to compensate for a cartridge that drops more than 100 MOA, but then you could not use it for close shooting, correct?

One more thing, with those turrets is it cool to sling the gun over your shoulder and carry it through some brush or bang it around a little?

Unread 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

You can go to Dan lilja's website to get an idea

I think BJ (Bill Bailey) might give you a good price.

I will add a few words of advice. The NPR2 reticle is great. The 56 mm objective is great for gathering light but you really need a adjustable cheekpeice because it mounts high. I have the 8X-32X and if I was doing it over I would get the next lower power. I just can't do much good shooting at the top end of the scope for some reason.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 11-24-2006, 04:54 AM
Bronze Member

If hunting is to be your primary use for this optic I would consider nothing less than a Schmidt & Bender simply for its optical superiority. If price is a consideration, I would agree with most and go with Nightforce or Leupold. I have both S&B PMII's and Leupold Mk4 and VXIII and would consider Nightforce for target use if they offered first focal plane as an option. Until then, I'll stick with my S&B's. With my 4-16x50 PMII, picking a spot for shot placement is effortless at 800 yd. and the low profile metric knobs can not be accidentally moved by brush or branches.
Unread 11-24-2006, 08:16 AM

If cost is no object don't forget about Hensoldt. Their prices are on par with s&b pmII though some models are a couple hundred cheaper. They also have more adjustment in most cases. I have one on the way that is a 3-12x56 with 137+ MOA of adjustment. They can be a little hard to acquire (I have info for their US representatives if anyone is interested) because they are just starting to get geared up for the US market and they need purchasers to sign an end-user agreement saying you won't sell it to the iranians or something. These are required by the German gov. because of their classification as true military products, perhaps a little overkill for standard hunting. You can also get them in your choice of first or second focal plane reticles (customer supplied custom reticles as well) for 3-12 and 4-16 models. Here is a link to some pics if anyone is interested. Also, there may be issues with shadowing of the sight picture in s&b 5-25 scopes though at the lower end of the adjustment range. Something to keep in mind if you prefer high magnification models. Just food for thought.