Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Picatinny Mount ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Picatinny Mount ??

6.5-284 is the rifle I am shooting and wanting to change the mount.

I have two basic questions. Aluminum or steel? Recoil Lug or not?

My current pic mount is a aluminum weaver 0 MOA.

Scope is a NF 5.5-22 x 56.

Seems like Badger is the only with a recoil lug and it is 148.00. The rest, in steel, NF, EGW, I have looked into have no recoil lug and are under 120.00

Please help.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Picatinny Mount ??

NightForce..all the way. Just ask at least 75% of the big name guys on the BB here.

For that rifle you dont need anything more than an EGW Al rail and they are "about" $48 from the website
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

OK, so aluminum should be stout enough for this combo is what are telling me. Perhaps my current alum mount is fine then.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

I've been using Aluminum EGW bases, and Aluminum TPS TSR rings for several years, and they have been just fine for me.

You don't have to have the most expensive. Price doesn't always mean better quality. Granted, more often than not, yes...But in this case, the EGW and TPS combo is honestly the best I've found for the budget-minded individual. And they really are precision equipment and VERY strong.

I use the HD bases and HD rings for the extra strength, just to be on the safe side. Both EGW and TPS list them with the HD designation, just FYI, so you can distinguish the regulars from the HD models.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
OK, so aluminum should be stout enough for this combo is what are telling me. Perhaps my current alum mount is fine then.

Might very well be stout enough. Since your speaking of a LONG range caliber...does your mount or scope..?...allow you enough elevation to get the distance you seek??
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Yes. So far I have only been out to 1482 yards. I think it was 43 MOA or there abouts. I have another 20 MOA with the reticle if I want to push 1750. However, that is not realistic kill distance so it only is for fun.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

LOL....where I am you cant even SEE that far. And the rifle club only has a 600 meter range...