Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Petition to Leupold for MOA reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Petition to Leupold for MOA reticle

I would change to the MOA and also buy more scopes in MOA.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

I too have talk to Leupold about the lack of a MOA reticle.
If one was available I would buy multipile scopes.

Leupold is really missing the bus on this one!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH300UM View Post
I too have talk to Leupold about the lack of a MOA reticle.
If one was available I would buy multipile scopes.

Leupold is really missing the bus on this one!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing new, they've been missing the boat for years

Last edited by jwp475; 01-16-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Gold Member

Leupold's business model is not aimed at being the small specialty scope manufacturer focussed on the small portion of the population playing OUR game. They are aimed at being the dominant scope manufacturer for serious hunters. But give Leupold their due, their scopes have improved greatly over the last 30 years. Their glass & coatings now rival European scopes & they are now offering CDS turrets as well as the VX7 turret for those who dial in range. They are moving our direction. They now have many products suitable for longer range shooting & I expect their next models will include versions set up for long range shooting.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

even the nightforce np r1 is way more complicated than it needs to be, DIALING FOR ELEVATION AND HOLDING OFF FOR WIND is the way to go, even for tactical shooters, I am somewhat surprised there is such demand for these crazy reticles. then again alot of tactical market is monkey see monkey do and more about looks than how well it functions.

the horus reticle doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you have a scope with some easy to use target turrets.

all we need is a duplex reticle with MOA wind hold offs, thats it, its that simple fineatto. the huskemaw reticle is the one I think of as being perfect, as it offers some ranging abilities but isn't near as cluttered as the graybull scope.

leupold does offer m5 adjustments in some scopes which is .1 mil which is almost 1/3moa.

if you have a good turret setup you don't need ANY marks on the vertical crosshairs. I am still trying to figure out why there are marks on the crosshairs on the top vertical wire. I also think a FFP reticle would be best as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
Leupold's business model is not aimed at being the small specialty scope manufacturer focussed on the small portion of the population playing OUR game. They are aimed at being the dominant scope manufacturer for serious hunters. But give Leupold their due, their scopes have improved greatly over the last 30 years. Their glass & coatings now rival European scopes & they are now offering CDS turrets as well as the VX7 turret for those who dial in range. They are moving our direction. They now have many products suitable for longer range shooting & I expect their next models will include versions set up for long range shooting.
Are you saying that long range hunters are not serious? If so that is total BS.

Leupold's optics will not hold a Candle to S&B Swarovski top end Zeiss ot Nightforce IME and the canted reticules new out of the box is just too much to put up with
Old 01-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy View Post
even the nightforce np r1 is way more complicated than it needs to be, DIALING FOR ELEVATION AND HOLDING OFF FOR WIND is the way to go, even for tactical shooters, I am somewhat surprised there is such demand for these crazy reticles. then again alot of tactical market is monkey see monkey do and more about looks than how well it functions.

the horus reticle doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you have a scope with some easy to use target turrets.

all we need is a duplex reticle with MOA wind hold offs, thats it, its that simple fineatto. the huskemaw reticle is the one I think of as being perfect, as it offers some ranging abilities but isn't near as cluttered as the graybull scope.

leupold does offer m5 adjustments in some scopes which is .1 mil which is almost 1/3moa.

if you have a good turret setup you don't need ANY marks on the vertical crosshairs. I am still trying to figure out why there are marks on the crosshairs on the top vertical wire. I also think a FFP reticle would be best as well.
CC the nice part about moa on the verticle wire is for spotting and calling elevation corrections.

When I go on a western hunt I always shoot to confirm my data, and my turret setting for zero relative to the envirnment. If I take a rock shot at 1000 yards it is easy for my spotter to hold on the point of aim and let me know the moa of error in elevation. If no spotter I can measure moa from the impact mark to the point of aim. Now I know that the husky has horizontal hash marks that span different measurements, but I never carry the scope manual with me so in the field they are near useless for measurements because I don't remember there value.

Moa is simple.