Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Petition to Leupold for MOA reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Petition to Leupold for MOA reticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy View Post
ok I can see the value in what some of you are saying about the vertical hashes, BUT WHY DO THEY NEED TO BE ON THE UPPER VERTICAL POST what purpose would those serve, other than looking tacticoool.

so if a reticle had the heavy posts on the ends, with say up to 6 minutes of marked hashes on the windage wire and only on the BOTTOM wire that would be the consensus??

put all this in an FFP reticle.
The lines above the recticle allow one to use them for a close range zero. I often zero my scope with MOA reticles with the 2 MOA mark above the reticle
Old 01-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
I'm not saying we are not "serious" quite the opposite. I'm saying that Leupold is targeting hunters that want something better than the Simmons/Bushnell/Nikon crowd, hunters that are serious about wanting something better & will pay for something better, but mostly for use inside of 500 yards.

Most on this site are beyond this "serious" level & are more aptly labelled (myself included) "extremists". That's why we even talk about two, three, or even five thousand dollar scopes.

I will differ on one other point: Although NightForce scopes have much better mechanisms with much more adjustment & heavier-duty tubes, the latest tests I've seen show Leupold's glass & coatings (at least on their better scopes) are better than NightForce. Neither Leupold nor NightForce compares well with Swarovski or Zeiss for clarity.
The only test of optics that matter to me are mine, the ones where I actually look through the scopes in low light and in shadows. Having personally tested Leupy VX3 against my older Nightforces scopes I put Nightforce ahead opticaly. S&B and Zeiss Davari being tops. Have not done a side by side with a Swarovski yet
Old 01-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
The lines above the recticle allow one to use them for a close range zero. I often zero my scope with MOA reticles with the 2 MOA mark above the reticle

so I guess this goes to show noone is going to be happy, I still say the majority of people aren't going to use the marks above the windage wire.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
so I guess this goes to show noone is going to be happy, I still say the majority of people aren't going to use the marks above the windage wire.
Is that based on your research in the market place?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I use the marks above the cross hair every time I line one up, cross hair is where I want to hit and then I check how the animal is bracketed, it works good for me. Another thing is for closer shots I know to what mark my bullet trajectory will rise, if it's on fur I know I'm GTG.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

A great idea. I would buy one with a MOA reticle.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 PM

I would really like to see them offer a MOA reticle.