Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Pete Lincoln Swaro query?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2004, 11:06 PM

Pete Lincoln Swaro query?

Hi Pete
What is your opinion of the Swarovski 6-24 target? What price are they where you are/
I checked here yesterday and $2100 AUD or about 15-1600 USD! Seem like great optics and I want more power for long range rabbits than the 4-16.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pete Lincoln Swaro query?

...I use swarovski binos, spotters and occasionally a lower power range scope, but for the higher power varmint scopes, I prefer Leupold or Nightforce...and they're cheaper than the $1600 plus swaros..

these scopes are pretty much the same price here... maybe a little more,
Old 10-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

The PV-S 6-24x50 is a nice scope, but it has the paralax adjustment on the objective, has the reticle in the 2nd focal plain.
The Zeiss 6-24x56 would be a better option with a side mounted paralax adjustment.
To be honest i would probably go with an NXS if i wanted more than 16x and needed a 30mm tube, otherwise a Zeis Conquest might be an option. I have found i can't use any more than 16x for shooting any way, so i'll stick with my PMII 4-16x.
Zeiss and Swarovski are quality products, but the 2nd focal plain puts me right off.
I'm pretty much set inmy S&B ways.
Pete
Old 10-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Pete,

Pardon my ignorance, I'm an optic dummy.

What is the differece between the reticle in the 1st or 2nd plane?

90% of my scopes are Leupold. Also have Nightforge and a few old Redfields. What plane are their reticles in?
Old 10-23-2004, 08:47 PM

Thanks Pete
I like the Swaro optic quality but the front focus adds to the mounting height unnecessarily I agree.
I don't think the NF has the same level of clarity or colour rendition as the Swaro or Zeiss. Unfamiliar with S&B but most seem to think these are better again.
I understand your comments re 2nd focal plane which the Zeiss is also.
I have posted here asking for feedback from anyone re change of point of impact at different power settings but no comment as yet.
I require the higher power to engage small targets such as rabbits out to 8/900 yds in NZ - mirage is not really that much of a problem there and I am currently using 8.5-25LRT Leupold and I wish to upgrade.
APB
Old 10-23-2004, 09:11 PM

(First time poster, have been surfin this site for a month or so and finally decided to take the plunge!)

apb I have a Swarovski 6x24x50 PVS that I have had atop my Sako TRG-S Lazzeroni Warbird since I got the rifle in '99. I absolutely LOVE the scope and haven't had the first minutes trouble from it. The only negative I suppose is that I wish I had Swaries on all my other rifles now!

3 weeks ago I carried it too Wyoming for a mule deer/antelope hunt and it performed flawlessly. Our guide actually asked to use it for a spotting scope on several occasions (with the round removed of course!) because it performed better than his 20 year old and TRUSTED spotting scope.

I have the standard plex reticle in it but now wish to have the newer "TDS Plex" reticle installed. I called Swarovski USA about a reticle change and they said 4-6 weeks and that the work must be performed back in Austria. The cost was quoted at $250. I am glad I waited, not only did I not want to risk a mess up and be without my scope for my trip to WY, but I am glad I waited for the TDS Plex vs the standard TDS which doesnt have a heavy post on the top wire like the plex version now features.

With regards too the new Zeiss 6x24x56. That scope is AWESOME! It wasn't offered when I got my Swarie. Were I to start over today with my extreme range gun, I would get the big Zeiss with the added benefit of a lighted mil-dot reticle. That IMO is THE setup for smacking em long in low light.

Remember also I have had a KDF muzzlebrake on my rifle since new. With a Warbird putting that much force on the scope, if it were a piece of crap it would've already failed me!
RA
Old 10-24-2004, 01:14 AM

Hi Red
Welcome to LRH!
There is a lot of experience here as you no doubt will have gleaned in the last month.
Most everyone has something useful to contribute and I learn more here than am able to contribute that is for sure!
Thanks for your input.
Just curious - have you ever checked your zero with a giver load at say 200/300 yards between 6X and 24X?
There is a basic premise that 2nd focal plane scopes are not as good in maintaining this zero compared to a 1st focal plane.
I have been looking for realistic checks on this theory and wonder whether the high end 2nd plane reticle scopes are reliable in this aspect.
The next range trip I am going to apply this test to my 8.5-25 LRT Leupold.
I believe I will carry it out at 200yds to give a better than comparo than at 100yds.
APB