Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Perfect Budget-Friendly Scope for .17HMR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Perfect Budget-Friendly Scope for .17HMR

Now, before I get lit on fire for not wanting to drop a Nightforce or a Zeiss on my $250 .17 HMR I will just start out by saying it's going to be a rimfire scope that I can eventually retire to my old Savage model 64. Now, I've got a Savage 93R17 Heavy Barrel Varminter (Walnut stock because it's a great touch on an inexpensive rifle, and I like wood [heh]) and I'm shopping around for scopes. I could quite easily drop a $50 simmons on it and be fairly happy, but I'd prefer to get better glass for squirrel and rabbit shooting. I'm thinking about the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire which can be had for right around $100, what think you long range hunters? Chances are it's not going to be shot past 200 yards very often so incredible glass clarity isn't paramount on my list of requirements. Just want recommendations and anecdotes for relatively inexpensive, rugged, and well performing rimfire scopes
Old 05-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Perfect Budget-Friendly Scope for .17HMR

Pentax gameseeker
Old 05-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Pentax still makes scopes? I'll be damned. I'll check it out
Old 05-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

I have a $50 3x9x32 on my heavy barreled .17 and it's fine for shots out to 250 yards. Mine can adjust using fingers which makes it real easy to zero in on ground squirrel dens. I'm moving a bushnell banner 6x24x40 over to it and see who that does. I'd like to try the Sweet .17 scope too but I hear it's hit or miss on durability being BSA. With that caliber, anything that holds a zero and has good glass will work fine.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

How about a lower model Vortex?

I have a cheap Tasco and have been looking to upgrade. For a long time I fealt it was fine, but the older I get and my eyes not being as good as they used to be, I am realizing I need better optics.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

I had a weaver and loved it. Really nice glass for the money and the cross hairs didn't obstruct the target. This is the one I had and would buy 10 more if I had the guns to put them on.

Weaver 3-12x50 Kaspa Hunting Rifle Scope
Old 05-16-2014, 04:14 AM
Gold Member

I have a 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch on my CZ 455 and it is perfect for squirrels. Just bought the Prostaff Rimfire for my brother's CZ and the adjustable parallax is great for the .22 at close range. Glass seemed as good as the Monarch but the plastic turret caps might not hold u to regular on off if you intend to dial adjustments. With the .17 barrel on mine I can hold Kentucky Windage as far as I need to though out to 175 yards or so. Everything I own wears a Monarch though