Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Parallax vs Focus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Any responses, please?

Catshooter, on page 2 of this thread the following was posted:

Hey guys! I read your string of posts and found them quite informative as I am currently setting up my new Leo Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40 LR M3. I used Catshooters instructions for setting up the scope and ran into an issue when trying to zero the AO side knob. I focused in on an object at aprox 400M (the farthest I could conveniently find without obstruction) and played with the AO knob as Catshooter instructed. I started at infinity and worked my way back until I was parallax free. I was concerned that this point was at the middle dot on the adjustment knob so I went thru the process again starting back at infinity. The result was the same so I loosened the screws and reset the knob so infinity lined up with the hash mark. Now the knob bottoms out at the low magnification end around the second dot and consequently turns way past the infinity mark on the top end. I called Leupold to ask their feedback and the WOMAN who answered the tech line basically said that the knob is set at the factory and not meant to be adjusted. I obviously mentioned that there is adjustment screws on the knob which usually means they are there to enable adjustment but she stuck to her limited insight. I knew I was not getting anywhere so I came back here to ask the gurus for their guidance. Please advise. Thanks!

NO ONE EVER REALLY ANSWERED....can we ge some insight from you?
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw
Old 01-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter, on page 2 of this thread the following was posted:

Hey guys! I read your string of posts and found them quite informative as I am currently setting up my new Leo Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40 LR M3. I used Catshooters instructions for setting up the scope and ran into an issue when trying to zero the AO side knob. I focused in on an object at aprox 400M (the farthest I could conveniently find without obstruction) and played with the AO knob as Catshooter instructed. I started at infinity and worked my way back until I was parallax free. I was concerned that this point was at the middle dot on the adjustment knob so I went thru the process again starting back at infinity. The result was the same so I loosened the screws and reset the knob so infinity lined up with the hash mark. Now the knob bottoms out at the low magnification end around the second dot and consequently turns way past the infinity mark on the top end. I called Leupold to ask their feedback and the WOMAN who answered the tech line basically said that the knob is set at the factory and not meant to be adjusted. I obviously mentioned that there is adjustment screws on the knob which usually means they are there to enable adjustment but she stuck to her limited insight. I knew I was not getting anywhere so I came back here to ask the gurus for their guidance. Please advise. Thanks!

NO ONE EVER REALLY ANSWERED....can we ge some insight from you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry... I haven't visited this thread in a long time.

I'm not sure what is wanted in the way of insight... but:

The lady at Leupold (all of them) read the answers to your questions from a F.A.Q. card. And the answer to most of them is "It is adjusted at the factory."...
... "Why does my car not start in the winter", and she says "It is adjusted at the factory!"

There are minor varances in each one of these scopes, and the stop point of the SF is not in the same place for each scope, as it depends where on the internal cell the SF fork is attached.

When the SF knob is set to the infinity mark, and when the scope is "focused" at infinity, then what you get for close focus is what you get. It can vary.

Now... if you want more close focus, then set the knob at some other point other than the factory infinity mark so you get more "range", but you do this at the expense of not being to set the knob at infinity using the engraved settings. You will have to do your own marks, using a scribe, or taped label, etc.

Hope that answers it.

LRH member #23
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 PM

CatShooter-
Thanks for finally replying and as you can see I have not revisited the thread for some time now. All I need to know right now is following your instruction does it make a diference if I was using a target at 400 yds compared to 1000+/infinity? I plan to make tick marks for each distance of 100-200-300-500-700-1000 for paralax on my dial so I never have to mess with it once I get it dialed in. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

You might consider using a sticky white label. Cut a piece that will fit around the SF dial where the dots are, then marking that with your own range settings - that way, you won't mark up the dial in case you want to sell it some day.

LRH member #23
Old 06-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Parallax vs Focus

Very well said. As an amateur physicist and ballistician I agree totally with your setup routine. I use my rangefinder to set up the AO ring (guzin end) after I get the scope set up as the ring range markings are always off.
Good job explaining it all.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 AM

Best information somebody could give about setting it all up. Very nice routine im going to try it next time i go out. This information should be a sticky. Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Catshooter, et al,

Well that WAS good? I've been bitchen about how much one would have to spend to get a scope whose AO or SF were marked proper.

Stupid me never tho't of doing your own calibration or the other adjustments mentioned in the thread.

For a half way intelligent fella, I sure am stupid a lot of the time.:mad:

Thanks for taking the time.