Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Packable spotting scope sub $ 600- Which is best ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Gold Member
Packable spotting scope sub $ 600- Which is best ??

Hey guys,

just considering getting a well priced spotting scope for target shooting and packable enough to hunt with. What are good scopes for the money. I recently sold a Leica 77 televid, so I like looking in good glass, but wanted to put the money into gear I use more.

I have heard good things about the leupold gold ring 12-40 x 60. They look really packable and can be picked up secondhand in good condition fairly well priced. I would like to spend 600 or less.

What suggestions do you have _- Nikon etc ??

Appreciate your thoughts

With each step in the bush, you are a step closer.

Unread 12-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member
My Nikon XL-KK 16-14 works for me.

Getting a steady packable tripod was the challenge. The Manfroto tripod was good but too large. A cheapie camera tripod with a handy vise was much more handy.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 12-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

I bought the Cabelas HD 20-60x65 (if I remember right). My partner uses a swaro 20-60x80. The Cabelas is no Swaro. But, I'd pay the 650 I paid for it again. It's not as small as some of the other options, but seemed much better glass to me. Plus Cabelas has a satisfacton guarantee. If you're not happy with it, send it back.

Good luck.
Unread 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Gold Member
For quality in a small package take a look at the Nikon 50Ed with either the Nikon 13-30x zoom eyepiece or the Nikon 13-40x zoom eyepiece. At 1 pound, only 8" in length and ED glass I think you will find this to be the ultimate in a packing scope
Unread 12-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Silver Member
I just found a Pentax PF63 (straight) with a 20-50 zoom eye piece for $260 on of all places. I wish it would have been an angled unit but for the price, I'll take it.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member
I'm not saying this is the best, but this was the best compromise of price (for my budget at the time) and packability (size, shape). Check out the size. The straight, tapered shape makes it very packable.

Bushnell | Elite 60mm with 15-45x Zoom | 781548P | B&H Photo

Sportman's Warehouse had the Nikon (virtual twin in size and shape) for $499 and the Bushnell Elite for $399. Bushnell was made in Japan and the Nikon in China, much to the salespersons surprise and mine. Glass in Bushnell seemed slightly better in side by side comparisons on a tripod. I got mine online for about $280 somewhere, I think.

My main goal was to be able to count points at 1K plus and it's done that. I can easily determine if I'm looking at a branch antlered bull at 2 miles+. It's not the best for low light conditions, that's for sure. And, it's not like looking through a Swarovski or Leica, but my budget won't allow a spotting scope from those guys and even if it did, their large size and weight make them very unappealing to me when it's time to put them in my backpack.

I also bought this Manfrotto tripod as its size, packability, weight, price and many great features won me over.

Bogen / Manfrotto | 785B Modo Mini Tripod | 785SHB | B&H Photo

At the same price, here's it slightly larger and heavier brother:

Bogen / Manfrotto | 785B Modo Maxi Tripod | 785B | B&H Photo

These tripods have an amazing array of features given their price, size and weight. Just what I settled on. Good luck.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia - Shelter for Your WildSide -

Last edited by jmden; 12-31-2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: more info
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member
A stray thought being as the places you hunt are pretty extreme. A really great pair of binoculars perhaps with doublers with a tripod mount might be enough.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club