Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Out of elevation on a Remi 700 XCR - can anyone help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Bronze Member

Out of elevation on a Remi 700 XCR - can anyone help?

Dear all

Can anyone tell me how this can be-

I have a S&B 3-12x50 Precision Hunter mounted on my Remi 700 XCR in 7mm Mag and regardless of whether it is in Talleys or Leupold DDT's I am maxed out on elevation when zero'd at 100 yards.

Is this an issue with the action? I know the scope is fine as when I mount it on any of my Sako's it is more or less centered (elevation wise).

Is there a remedy to this other than mounting an inclined base and or Signature rings?

Has anyone else experienced this with their Remi?

Thanks

JB
Old 04-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Out of elevation on a Remi 700 XCR - can anyone help?

Its probably not the issue, but once when I swapped a scope around on several rifles then ring setups, I had forgotten to re-zero the adjustments back to center in between several of them so each time I re-zeroed the rifle, I lost some adjustments. You may try it, dunno know if it will help though.......
Old 04-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

You can shim the base about 20 MOA but more than that and you get into some minor issues. Sounds like you need both a base and signature rings to actually get the right adjustment for long range hunting.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

As muleyman notes, I'd be sure it's re-centered/zeroed and then see if you're closer to where you need to be.

If you need to know how, read here:
How important to accuracy is optically centering scope? - Benchrest Central Forums

Most important (I think) is post #8. I do procedure 2 and if I really want to be precise then procedure 3. For procedure 2 I use a small 3x4 inch "makeup" mirror that was a giveaway from a car dealer.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that if it is optically centered and then you sight it in that your particular scope would run out of adjustment.... In theory there should be plenty there.

Let us know.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks fellas

I am defo out of adjustment for up.

I think the only option would be to get a 20 MOA base and or sig rings.

I only want/need to get out to say 600 yards so with a 20 MOA base I would have plenty left before getting close to maxing out.

Thanks also for the link Dr.

Cheers

JB
Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
I am defo out of adjustment for up.

JB
Even if you're sure it's optically centered before you start?

We don't doubt you're out of adjustment range now. It's just hard to believe that if the scope started out optically centered (key point) that it would run out of adjustment when trying to get it on paper at 100 yards.

If it were me (and it's not, but... ) I would do this -

- watch this movie Scopes - rings by Burris Optics
- remove scope, and optically center as per the link in my post above
- install Burris Signature rings. Also, when you order them get the pack of 3 inserts (5/10/20) so you can get it lined up ahead of time. Cheapest place is Optics Planet Burris Riflescope Mounts - Burris Rings & Burris Bases ON SALE Burris Ring, Burris Mount, Burris Mount
- Use a laser boresighter aimed at a wall or object 100 yards away. Use ballistics calculator to figure out where your bullet "would" hit compare to where the laser is projecting at 100 yards; don't forget to use the correct zero, which may be 100 or may be 200 depending on your preference. Now use the inserts to move your scope up or down so that your crosshairs are at or below that point of (theoretical) impact
- Use windage screws to adjust your left/right

I've done this several times and can usually get a rifle very close to right where I want it before I ever shoot once. This keeps it at its optical center as well.

It doesn't take me much longer to do it than to type this.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Bronze Member

Dr. thank you for your input here and sorry as I mis understood your previous post.

Yes I agree, if I could get my scope optically centered to begin with there would be no issue at all.

The Burris sigs are a great design and I know they would allow me to do this - I was trying to use ideally the Talleys as I like the way they look but I think, short of having the reciever looked at, I will go down the route of an inclined base which I already have or maybe get some sig zee's on a weaver.

Thanks again