Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Out of elevation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Out of elevation

7mmMag Man,

The inserts are shaped spherically on the top and flat on the inner portion that contacts the scope. Also, the rings are machined with this same spherical shape to match the outside diameter of the inserts.

This allows the inserts to self alighn in the rings and produce a totally non stressed mounting system. There is nothing that is easier on a scope then this system.

How do they hold? Well I have mounted them on 458 Lotts, 50 BMGs and even handguns in 500 S&W and have yet to every have a system slip when these rings and inserts are mounted correctly. This means totally cleaning and drying.

The inserts will grip nearly 200% more securely then any metal ring system simply because the composite inserts have a much higher frictional coefficent then steel or aluminum rings do.

Also, they will simply never mark the scope tube, EVER, if installed correctly and not ever tightened.

If you find a combo that gets this system to slip let me know as I have yet to find it. I do not endorse these to be used on 50 BMGs but I have used them with good results. Still I recommend a tactical style ring, not for scope hold integrity but for ring to base strength with heavy extreme range optical systems.

Yes, the standard Burris Signature rings will fit in the Leupold base. Be sure to apply moly grease to those dovetails but yes they work perfectly well.

The Burris Signature rings have a ring diameter that is much larger then 1", closer to 30mm and the inserts take up the extre area for the 1" scope tube. Order 1" signature rings for your 1" scope. FOr a 30mm scope you would order 30mm rings, same as any ring.

Each insert is clearly marked for its offset amount. They are marked with the following indicators: 0, -5, +5,-10, +10, -20, +20.

You are correct in that these are in Thousandths of an inch and not moa, my mistake. I do not have the direct conversion to MOA but I can assure you that you can easily get enough added MOA to take you to the outter limits of your rifles potential.

Go to http://www.burrisoptics.com/rings.html and this will explain the system better.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

7mmag man I have a set of the 1 inch inserts here that I ended up with after my last scope purchase but can not use them because my tube is 30 mm. It's the whole 1" pos align set with a +20, +5 ,+10 and a minus of each. Like I said I have no use for them and if you want to go the Burris signature ring route drop me an email with your address and I will send them to you. If you have to put + and - 20 in both rings it will keep you from having to buy 2 sets of inserts
Old 05-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Silver Member

Thanks to all for the help. This will definietly help me to get to at least 1200-1400 yards. Now all that I need to do is A LOT more practice so that maybe I can hit something with my extended moa ranges! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Remember that the offset inserts are a matched set.

IF you use a +20 in the rear ring you have to use the -20 in the top of that ring. DO not use a +20 bottom with a 0 top or the rings will be larger around the scope body then the rings will allow and you will likely crush the scope tube.

Keep those sets together!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

It's a set of one inch and has never been opened and thats what was in there. One set of each 5, 10 , and 20.
The ones I needed came with my 30 mil rings. I had a brain lock when I ordered them knowing my tube was 30 mil I ordered a one inch pos align kit. DUHH! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Some times that happens when I start spending money I go into brain seizures or something! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I was offering the set because I know if he wanted or needed 5,10, or 20 in both sets of rings he would need 2 pos align kits.
The way I made it sound in my post was confusing to even me now after reading it again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sorry for the confusion!
Old 05-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

I'll take em!

Email sent. Thanks
Old 05-31-2005, 09:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

7RUMloader,

I was sure we all knew what you were trying to say but just figured I would make the point before something did inot fit [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Don't worry, I have the same problems sometimes when spending money [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]!

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com