Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Out of elevation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Out of elevation

I was shooting my rifle yesterday and realized once I went to dial in at longer ranges that I ran out of ajustment and was wondering what kind of base and rings to get for my Savage 112 BVSS (long action)? I was looking at getting a 20moa -30moa base. Any suggestions as to the brand would be greatly appreciated!
I have a leupold 1 inch scope on it now with leupold rings and bases.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Out of elevation

7mmag man:

A friend of mine just went through this with a Savage and he went with the Farrell rings and 20moa base. This decision was based on his not wanting to spring for some of the higher priced tactical type setups. Hes very happy with the setup and it seems to be a quality set of rings and base.

Just something to remember though, if you were to go with the Farrell. The Farrell 20moa base is slightly taller than most, so you can get by with the standard height rings unless you have a very large diameter barrel. He went with the 20moa base and standard rings and his 30mm scope with 50mm objective clears with room to spare.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

Warne's Tactical rail comes in 0 or 20 MOA, and is about the lowest you can get for a Savage as far as height... reasonably priced also. I have a Farrel base if anyone wants it... too dang high. I use a SS16X42 scope on that particular gun, and even w/ low rings it's too high.

Monte
Old 05-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Silver Member

Is the Farrell rail that you have a short or long action? and is it for the older model savages or the newer accutrigger savages? It is the 20 MOA right? and how much do you want for it?
Thanks for the offer.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

What has been mentioned is the best way to get MOA but another way that may work with your existing base is to get some Burris Signature rings with a couple 20 moa offset insert kits.

Put a +20 moa in the bottom of the rear ring, -20 in the top.

Put a -20 in the bottom of the front ring and a +20 in the top.

This will give you 40 moa.

You can order the 1" inserts with 10 moa and 20 moa so the combinations you can come up with are +10 moa, +20 moa, +30 moa, +40 moa.

Relatively cheap to add moa with your existing base if you are using a standard base sytem.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,

You have me interested with this new form of adding moa to scope base and rings. But I am a little confused by this system. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Does it put extra strain on the scope tube like shimming does or does it compensate for such troubles? Will the standard burris rings work on a leupold base? and wouldn't a 1 inch ring with incerts make the hole too small for a 1 inch tube? So does that mean that I need to order 30mm rings for a 1 in scope? And do they specify on the inserts what moa they are designed for? because the only ones that I could find were in thousandths of an inch. How does that convert to moa? What combination do I need to get 30 moa? (because 20 is too little and 40 is too much)

Also lastly my biggest concern is how solid is this setup? It seems that with so many variable and contact points it would have a much better chance of slipping.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

7mm
There is no strain placed on the tube at all, in fact the plastic inserts ar self centering so you can't bend the tube.

I use them on a 300 WM and a 6.5-284 with scopes that only have 45" of vertical adj. in them. Both guns now have enough adj. to get to 1000 yds. and beyond.
Chris