Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

OT? What reticule for 1000 yard targets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2002, 09:11 PM
Bronze Member

OT? What reticule for 1000 yard targets?

I shoot with the NW club, a MT affiliate. What reticule do some of you use for the 4" white square at 1k? If you have a 1/8 min. dot where do you put it? Thanks, Jay. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: OT? What reticule for 1000 yard targets?

Hey Jay,
Hope you are all ready to go for next season with the big "hawg".

I like a good old fashion cross hair due to the 4" aiming square you talk about. But I will admit I'm probably the minority. Most use the dot and just self-center it in the square. When shooting at a mothboll in the "point-blank" BR game I'm sure it's a big advantage with using the dot with the human eye having the ability to self center circles within circles.
Myself I always aim at the lower right hand corner of the aiming square if mirage and conditions permit. If not I just center everything up and let'um rip. I can't remember what type of sigh-in system the Montana club uses, but in NC we use the clay birds, so I just bring my hairs up from the low right until both the vertical and horizontal hairs are tangent with the edge of the bird. At the VA and PA ranges you have the seperate spotter targets so my spotter shots are obviously aimed the same as the record shots at the low right corner of the square.

Good luck taking B. Turner's money home this year! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve