Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Optics power setting rule of thumb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Gold Member
Mlivingstone, also keep in mind that some scope have more field of view than others at the same power setting. That is going to be your biggest problem at closer ranges.
Member 7MM STW Club

Unread 06-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member
If you can't get it done out to 1K or so with a 10X scope then you've issues that more power can't fix.
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Unread 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
IMO, it depends on your rest, and how big your target is!

A year or so ago a hunter on another board was looking at a 7x scope and wanted to know if it was OK out to 300 yards, here was my reply:

I had a chance to test my scope at 7x yesterday.

From where I sat I could see a power-line tower that according to Google Earth was 408 yards away from my position. There is a Danger No Trespassing sign that measures approximately 18h x 24w inches.

I sat with my back to a tree and had a tall bi-pod attached for hunting.

First, I left the scope on 3x. I could not read the writing, younger eyes may have been able to
With no particular spot to aim, I found that the crosshairs danced around but stayed easily in the kill zone.

Second, I adjusted the scope to 7x. The writing was clear, even for me. I decided that the "D" in Danger looked to be a nice size target, and at 7x I could keep the crosshairs on the "D" without too much trouble.

When I left for the morning I went over to the tower to see the sign. The letter "D" looked to be about 4 inches high and about 3 inches wide.

IMO a 7X scope, assuming a good rest is certainly more than enough scope for hunting.....and if any "letters" get in your way...they are toast

IMO, if I could dope the wind, that a woodchuck would be in serious trouble at that 400 yards distance, and if the grass were shorter and you could get prone it would be that much better.