Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Optics power setting rule of thumb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 AM

Optics power setting rule of thumb

Hi Guys,

I have been thinking lately about scopes for minimum ethical hunting and deciding what magnification settings are required. I was mainly thinking maximum but I suppose for min it would be similar. What I am thinking is the setting x 50. e.g. 3-9x40 would be approx 150m to 450m. Probably close enough to substitute for yards too.

What do you think? Hopefully I haven't reinvented something already known :-)

Cheers,

MarkL
Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Under that scenerio a 20x scope would only be good for 1000yards and a 14 power scope would be good for 700 yards if I get what your saying. I dont think that theory works. 14x is capable of taking big game animals past 700 with ease, Just MHO
Old 06-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

mlivingstone
So what your saying is open sites could only be "ethical" to 50 meters!!
I agree with eddybo, your theory needs work.
You need to go back to the drawing board and start over!
"Ethical" to some may not even seem possible to others!!
I've seen people with beep sights out shoot people with 10 power scopes, alot more to it than what power scope you have. just because you can afford the best scope money can buy don't mean your qualified to shoot long range at game.

CAM
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlivingstone View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been thinking lately about scopes for minimum ethical hunting and deciding what magnification settings are required. I was mainly thinking maximum but I suppose for min it would be similar. What I am thinking is the setting x 50. e.g. 3-9x40 would be approx 150m to 450m. Probably close enough to substitute for yards too.

What do you think? Hopefully I haven't reinvented something already known :-)

Cheers,

MarkL
I am not trying to be critical but after reading your post there is one phrase that makes me just a little uneasy "minimum ethical hunting" .
Is this Lawyer jargon ???? or some type of treehugger propaganda ????
You might get a better answer to your question if you made it easier to answer for a shooter or hunter rather than a politician.
UB
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 AM

Hi UncleB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleB View Post
I am not trying to be critical but after reading your post there is one phrase that makes me just a little uneasy "minimum ethical hunting" .
Is this Lawyer jargon ???? or some type of treehugger propaganda ????
You might get a better answer to your question if you made it easier to answer for a shooter or hunter rather than a politician.
UB

Thanks to you and the others for your thoughtful replies. I'm definitely not lawyer / tree hugger material ;-)

I also was thinking from my glasses assisted POV.

What started my thought stream was I intend in the near future to purchase a .22-250 and a .308 for hunting purposes. Now, when I look at scope prices, prices generally go up with scope power. Now, I tend to try to purchase from companies with good reputation / products e.g. Leupold and that can often attract a price premium too. So, I was wondering of there was a way to judge the required scope power based on distance. I realise it will not be totally accurate but at least a starting point.

Thanks

MarkL
Old 06-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Bronze Member

power

I have read someone post that for "general" hunting purposes that 1x/100 yards is probably enough. I think they were referring to big game hunting. Dean
Old 06-27-2008, 05:19 AM

Hi Guys,

Well, I found a good counter article to my original post.

I was reading one of my SSAA Australian Shooter manuals and in the results section, there was some sort of air rifle 10 meter comp.

The Grand Master was using peep sights and one of the Bronze winners was using an 18X

Cheers,

MarkL