Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Optics for a mountain rifle...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 05:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: Optics for a mountain rifle...?

The Z5 is definately an awesome scope but at $1500 is a bit over my self imposed $1k max budget for optics, having just bought a Nightforce Atacr for my long range heavy

did not see the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 on SWFA, is it a discontinued model ?

I have had bad luck with Leupold glass and customer service in the late 90's and have never purchased another since and probably never will,

Here is one that caught my attention even though it is bulkier than originally wanted (30mm tube and 50mm objective) but the weight and price are right in line

Meopta MeoStar R1 3-10x50 13 oz. and 21" long

Meopta 3-10x50 MeoStar R1 30mm Rifle Scope

anybody have any experience with Meopta ? don't they make the Conquest scopes for Zeiss in New York ?

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
The Z5 is definately an awesome scope but at $1500 is a bit over my self imposed $1k max budget for optics, having just bought a Nightforce Atacr for my long range heavy

Promise I am not a Swaro salesman! You can pick up a Z5 in the $1250 range if you can find a demo at a reputable place. Here is one: Swarovski - Camera Land NY. Still not $1K but spitting distance.

My last Z5 was a Cameraland demo and it drop-shipped from Swarovski USA. If it was touched after it left production I would be shocked. With the SHOT show just wrapping up I'm guessing there should be some good demo deals out there on a variety of brands.

Can't help with the Meopta question... Never shot through one.

Good luck in your search. I'm Jealous of your ATACR - I have one on my wish list.

Brandon
Old 01-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Silver Member

Any thoughts preferably on the Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 FFP or any of the others?

I'm happy to share the thread but don't want it hijacked.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Bronze Member

Why not 32 objective?
I would add a Nikon Monarch 2-8x32. Very light in terms of both weight and light transmission. I have been using it on my 308 BAR for 3 years and have never had any issues with it. I am very impressed of turrets accuracy, quality of glass and zero holding. I have compared it with my nightforce 2.5-10x32 (which could be also an option) and can say that Nikon glasses are better.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post

did not see the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 on SWFA, is it a discontinued model ?

I have had bad luck with Leupold glass and customer service in the late 90's and have never purchased another since and probably never will,

Here is one that caught my attention even though it is bulkier than originally wanted (30mm tube and 50mm objective) but the weight and price are right in line

Meopta MeoStar R1 3-10x50 13 oz. and 21" long

Meopta 3-10x50 MeoStar R1 30mm Rifle Scope

anybody have any experience with Meopta ? don't they make the Conquest scopes for Zeiss in New York ?

That scope is 16 oz on Meoptas website. I use swfa as well to look and compare scopes. But with a 50 mm objective that seemed to good to be true. So swfa may misprint every once in a while I guess.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:11 AM
Silver Member

The Conquest 3.5-10X44 may be a discontinued model. I think some are still out there. Some have said that Meopta is building scopes for several different companies. No idea if Zeiss is one of those. Meopta is building a good reputation for itself. Worth looking at. Bruce
Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Of The ones you listed, I've had good luck with the Bushnell Elites. There is a Ziess 2.5-8 with 32 objective in the for sale. Smaller than you want, but easy on budget. And no, I have no idea who posted. But thought of buying it myself for my light weight rifle.

It would be hard for me to go over 500 yards with 8 power. 400 would be even better, but that is me. I've hunted with a 3-12 and a 3.5-10 the last 5 years, depends witch rifle I'm carrying. Almost all my deer have been shot at around 7 power.