Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Optics for a mountain rifle...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

Optics for a mountain rifle...?

I am looking for some help on this from everyone out there.

Needs:
~ 1lbs
At least 8x magnification (won't be shooting past 700yd)
At least 36mm objective
Capable of handling *hot* 30-06 rounds

Some options I'm kicking around:
Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10x42
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40
*new* Vortex Viper HSLR 2.5-10x32 FFP
Bushnell Elite 2.5-10x40

These two are maybes, but they are a bit bigger and heavier than I'd prefer.
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42
Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50 FFP

Anything you think I should add to this list, that's in the same range/quality level?
Which would you pick?

Last edited by wilkup; 01-21-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: Optics for a mountain rifle...?

Tagging in,

I'm also scoping out compact lightweight optics for my new project
A Mt Goat and Dall Sheep hunting rifle that will also work as a rough terrain hiking moose and black bear hunting rifle

Weight was a key factor coupled with good quality in something around a high power end at minimum of 10x and max bell diameter of 42mm, no large protruding turret/target knobs but rather short sleek hunting type

so far I have several on my list and currently at the top are ....

Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 at 12.7 oz. and 12.64" long

Swarovski 3-10x42 Z3 Riflescope

Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 14.8 oz and 12.4" long

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-4-12x42-Terra-...pe-P61669.aspx

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Swamplord; 01-21-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Gold Member

2.5x8 vx3. relitively compact and light weight but still has glass and you wont have to sell a car to buy one.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Tagging in,

I'm also scoping out compact lightweight optics for my new project
A Mt Goat and Dall Sheep hunting rifle that will also work as a rough terrain hiking moose and black bear hunting rifle

Weight was a key factor coupled with good quality in something around a high power end at minimum of 10x and max bell diameter of 42mm, no large protruding turret/target knobs but rather short sleek hunting type

so far I have several on my list and currently at the top are ....

Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 at 12.7 oz. and 12.64" long

Swarovski 3-10x42 Z3 Riflescope

Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 14.8 oz and 12.4" long

Zeiss 4-12x42 Terra Rifle Scope
I don't think you can go wrong with that list. You may want to look at a Swaro Z5 as well. They weigh about an even lb, and give you some additional high-end without giving up much low end. I have two of the 3.5-18x44 versions and I really like them.

I believe I read somewhere that the Z5 glass and optics system is superior to the Z3, but I can't find where I saw that (maybe I dreamed it up). Hopefully one of our resident optics experts can jump in with a technical explanation.

Brandon
Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

I think your missing one of the best in this weight/magnification range. The Zeiss Conquest 3.5X10X44 is just under 16 oz and is a great scope for your needs. Hard to go wrong with one. Bruce
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

One of my rifles, the lightest one, that I also intended as a sheep/backpack rifle has a 3-12x42 Huskemaw on it. That scope is also right-in-there for your weight considerations* I like mine alot. Great hunting-scope, not bulky or heavy by any means and fit my "weight/size/value" pre-requisits when I was choosing..

They actually offer a 4-16 now in the same housing as the 3-12.. I'm sure that extra magnification wouldn't add all that much extra weight (if any) Definitely gain a bit more mag-power which can be handy

(Personally) I think the Husky takes the cake for this purpose vs Leupold or Vortex.. but that is only an opinion, I won't get into it. Buy which you like best above all else, but I strongly reccommend taking a look at the Huskemaws. This category is where they shine.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with that list. You may want to look at a Swaro Z5 as well. They weigh about an even lb, and give you some additional high-end without giving up much low end. I have two of the 3.5-18x44 versions and I really like them. I believe I read somewhere that the Z5 glass and optics system is superior to the Z3, but I can't find where I saw that (maybe I dreamed it up). Hopefully one of our resident optics experts can jump in with a technical explanation. Brandon
The Z3 models have doublet objectives, leaf springs and a 3:1 zoom ratio. They have very high resolution and image contrast, but otherwise, the design is derived from a previous Swaro model line. The Z5 scopes have air-spaced triplet objective lenses and use the Z6 erector optical design in a 1" tube, which results in a 5:1 zoom ratio. The Z5 scopes use the Z6 coil spring design. Not only are the resolution and contrast excellent, but these scopes maintain the high resolution over the full elevation range.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent