Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

An Optics Conundrum: What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 01:35 AM

Re: An Optics Conundrum: What would you do?

Ernie, thank you for sharing your experience. If I find the 3.5-15 too heavy this year, I can always swap for the 2.5-10.

So far, going to recommend trying both the Swarovski EL swarovision and zeiss victory ht in 8x42.

What is your preferred spotting scope? I've read many other threads...but I'm particularly interested in current LRH opinions. Looking for light, optically excellent, and bullet proof... should be easy... ;D...
Old 05-16-2014, 09:29 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Ernie, thank you for sharing your experience. If I find the 3.5-15 too heavy this year, I can always swap for the 2.5-10.

So far, going to recommend trying both the Swarovski EL swarovision and zeiss victory ht in 8x42.

What is your preferred spotting scope? I've read many other threads...but I'm particularly interested in current LRH opinions. Looking for light, optically excellent, and bullet proof... should be easy... ;D...
I don't have what I really want yet in a spotting scope.

Vortex Razor HD (The largest one) has a optional 30x wide angle eyepiece. You get the scope with a variable eyepiece. I wish you could buy it with the eyepiece of your choice. You can get the 30x WA with either a MOA or MIL reticle.

The eyepiece works on the mid-sized Razor HD, but the subtensions are not right, so it is not a viable option. Also they are NOT going to make an eyepiece for the midsized Razor spotting scope that subtends correctly.
The one thing I don't like about it is that the eyepiece is not a LER eyepiece. You cannot see a full FOV with shooting glasses or prescription glasses on.
I wear prescription glasses.

The US Optics LER spotting scope With reticle in FFP just flat out stinks. Eye relief is way too long (Like looking through a straw) and the attachment piece to the tri-pod is too long as well. They probably speced something for the military and they needed to be able to see through it using goggles or something like that.
Not practical at all for LR field shooting or LR hunting.

For Field shooting I have been using a Kowa with a 25x LER eyepiece ( I purchased it for F-Class @ 1K. Awesome glass, but no reticle and it is a fairly big scope.

For years I used Leupold's 12-40 Gold Ring, then the HD when it came out.
They do have a MOA reticle now in FFP, and I am going to get one of those soon.
The Leupold has good glass, lightweight, awesome FOV and has all the eye relief a guy would need-The journey continues
Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 PM

Thought I had thanked you a while ago Ernie for that post. I had not...Thank you again.

Just checking in...I am finding the rifle a bit too unbalanced with the 3-15. Will eventually swap for 2.5-10 on this rifle.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Bronze Member

I have a March 2.5-25x42 with the MTR 4 reticle. It has one minute tick marks at 20 power and 2 moa at 10 power. At the top of 25x, marks are 0.8 moa.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf View Post
I have a March 2.5-25x42 with the MTR 4 reticle. It has one minute tick marks at 20 power and 2 moa at 10 power. At the top of 25x, marks are 0.8 moa.
Good info, thank you.

Is there anything you don't like about that scope? Is it "unusable" at any of the higher magnifications (eyebox question)? They look amazing and I want one but I'm having a tough time getting over the lack of long term warranty.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

I use the scope more on 25x than any other setting. If the eye box is tight I must have adapted to it. I would prefer more than 10 marks on the vertical crosshairs if one elected to hold over rather than dial but that is the only thing I would change. Other have more marks than the MTR 4.