Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Opinons/Advice Swarovski vs. Nightforce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 PM

Opinons/Advice Swarovski vs. Nightforce

Hey Guys,

I've recently been gifted a 300 wsm built by GA Precision. I was wondering what anyone thought of the difference between a Swarovski and a Nightforce as the optics for this rifle. I have a friend who has a Nightforce on his GA Precision that shoots 6" groups at 1000yds and we are both novices. I often heard that the Nightforce is more of recreational/ target optic, while the Swarovski is more geared toward hunting, which is my primary focus. I currently shoot a 5x25 Swarovski on my Browning 7mm WSM and it has never let me down, even out to 500+ yds on game. Just wanted to know what everyone thought. Thanks for your help guys and I wish everyone a great Thanksgiving.

Justin Marinkov
Old 11-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Opinons/Advice Swarovski vs. Nightforce

If your talking about the BR line of Nightforce, you would be correct. However the NXS was designed as a tactical scope, and has found a home with LR hunters based on the internal travel, great glass, rock solid repeatability and MOA reticles. 5.5-22x50/56 NXS is my idea of the perfect LR scope.

I wont argue the quality of swarovski, but the NF is nothing to turn your nose up at. Search the threads here, theres a ton of info. Only negative you can really find is the weight, but then again, tanks are not light either.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: Opinons/Advice Swarovski vs. Nightforce

I agree with Texan, I own a NF 5.5-22X56 and a Swaro Z5. I love the Swaro for the weight but with the NF I know that once I put the dope in the scope and I do my part, I have a dead critter. I took my NF on all my hunts this year, From Alaska to back country hunts here in Colorado and it held up great. I even fell of a 6 foot sand stone ledge and landed flat on my back and on that scope. I took a shot at 700 to check zero and it was dead on. I forgot to mention I was seven miles back and I think if I had anyother scope I would have been headed back to the truck.