Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

opinions on scopes please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: opinions on scopes please

FD, OK, For instance, I was shooting my Cooper which is adorned with a 4-16x-44mm Burris Signature, my then shooting buddy had his wearing a Leupold 4.5-14x-40mm, although my scope was on 10x and his was set at 14x, I had the Light Collector fully closed, which if you know what the Light Collector does, it acts like the aperature on a camera, so being that it was dialed all the way in, the hole when you look inside is about the size of a nickel, when he had me look through his scope, it looked like somebody turned the lights off, another time, same guy different scope, me too, this time 6-24x-44mm Sig.(set on 20x) on my 6mm, his 243 wore a Leupold 6.5-20x-50mm(set at 20x), I was shooting on a snow covered field with a bright sunny day, so I had the Light collector closed again, when he came out to show me his new Jewell trigger and try it out, I had just got done shooting my 6mm and he had me shoot his 243, looked through the scope and my comment was, buddy, it's dark in here, from then on, I knew I bought the right scope over the scope that's supposed to be the "BEST" from my buddies thinking anyway, needless to say, I never looked back. Now I hear that Leupold wants all their retailers to sell their scopes for MSRP, I'm all done with them, though I do like the 3.5-10x on my 7mm08, hey, it was the first "high" quality scope I ever bought(1988). Jay
Old 10-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

flopduster, I've looked through both the Pentax LS-30 (own one as a matter of fact) in 8.5-32x50 and the Burris BD 8-32x50.

Don't ask why the 0.5 magnification difference between the models, it is irrelevant IMHO. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm pretty sure that all the internals in the scope, including the glass, is the same. The newest version of the BD looks much more like the Pentax than the previous BD (which was blockier and had an ocular assembly that moved instead of just the magnification ring).

Image quality, etc. is identical as far as I can tell. Suggest you buy whichever you can get for less. FWIW, the Burris BD is capable of competing with any scope there is at any price for things like varmint shooting, 1,000y BR, and F-Class. You can pay a lot more, but I don't think your dollar outlay will get you more results.

Bragging rights? Well, what I care about happens downrange, not as it sits on the bench.

If you want another option in the $600 or so price range, you might have a look at the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. It has a one inch tube, but it has 45 MOA of up (6 MOA more than the Burris/Pentax models mentioned), and can be had with a mildot reticle and bullet drop compensator. (Both, not either...) Cost from a Highland Gear in Quincy, IL (see their website) is $620 plus about $6.00 shipping. Optics are superb, warranty is forever and follows the scope, not just the original owner.

Target knobs, side focus. Maybe a worthy contender!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

flopduster,

I know exactly what you mean on the clarity and parallax...

My dad is sending his SA Gen 3 scope back as the thing will not focus completely or remove all the parallax, trust me it won't, so I'm not surprised to hear yours won't either.

Last time out we were at 300 yards and I thought he had sent it back already and put one of the other SA scopes he has on it. I couldn't believe he was even trying to shoot with it again.

Even set on infinity, there's still a ton of parallax, you "must" center your eye in the ocular, and still it's so bad it's almost a waste of time to try and shoot a nice group...

I'd send it back, get it fixed and sell the thing. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think all my dads SA scopes have an image that's blurry and distorted looking, they might be bright but if I had to look through one on a continual basis I'd rather shoot myself. My dad loves them. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
He likes them better than his NF BR 8-32, so I tell him when you're ready to sell me it I'll take it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] He don't like them that much better tho. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'll let you all see how Burris customer service, warranty and quality control have improved, or not. I'm definitely in no rush to lay money down for anything with their name on it at this point, but that's me...