Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

opinions on scopes please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Bronze Member

opinions on scopes please

I know this has been already been discussed here but I would like opinions before i change my scope. I have a springfield 6x20x56 and like it but it is not clear and it makes it difficult to shoot small group even at 100yds(it seems i can never eliminate the parallex, when i set the obj to 100 and focus the eyepiece, i run out of adjustment as it starts to get clear)
I am thinking about a burris black diamond 6x24x50 or pentax LS30 6x24x50, I will probably want to move up when the 35mm tube IOR become available. I know burris assembles the pentax, how much better is the pentax glass??? This scope is used for hunting mostly and the ability to see in near darkness is most important. I had a loopie varIII 6x20x50 and is was very clear but the fine hairs were hard to see late and is was not as bright as the springfield.I am not knocking leopold, but their scopes are not as good in low light as they should be. If leopold would get their light trasmission up to the level of some other scopes, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Dreaming of a S&B with the 34mm tube.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: opinions on scopes please

The way I focus my eyepiece...

Set the paralax to infinity and then point the scope to "infinity" and focus the eyepiece....This may help you...
Old 10-28-2003, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

Flopduster, I was looking at the same Pentax you mentioned at Gander Mt. last week, looked like a very clear scope, had no problem reading a sign hundreds of yards away set on 16x, may go again tonight and compare it with the Burris Sig. they had sitting next to it, from my experience with Burris products, I'd have to recommend them wholeheartedly, I don't see a need to buy an overpriced scope like the S&B, albiet a fine scope, Black Diamond and Lightseeker scopes are very nice optics for any amount of money in my book. But everyone knows that by now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jay
Old 10-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

I really liked the clarity of my leopold, and I like the fact that the springfield is briter, I just wish i knew which of these(or maybe another scope I haven't considered) would give me both.

xring
I don't know what the problem is other than glass quality, I have tried to focus it every way I could think of. The image is blurry around the edges at its clearest setting, In no way can I read the print on targets at 100yds like I could with the leopold.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Flopduster the eye bell on a scope is for focusing the reticle. Point your scope at a white wall and look at the reticle only! Then adjust the eye bell until the reticle is clear. When you go outside you will find that the yardages will correspond with the proper distances and that you will not run out of parallax adjustment! If you do not do it in the correct manner you cannot expect the scope to function properly no matter what brand it is!
Old 10-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Bronze Member

I don't have any, but I've heard plenty of raves over the Bushnell 4200 Elite series of scopes.

Personally, I'm sold on Leupold, but that's just me. :-)

Mark in Utah
Old 10-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Bronze Member

I understand how to focus a scope whether it is bringing the image to focus or eliminating paralex, the simple fact is that I can not get a clear image with this scope no matter what I do. I can get a relativly clear image of a target at 100(still hazy), but can not get the reticle and the image in the same focal plane. My simmons 4x12x40ao on my rem 597 22 is much clearer.

I would still like to hear opinions on the low light performance of the burris or pentax, is the pentax really better??