Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Opinions / Help with Schmidt & Bender Scope ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Opinions / Help with Schmidt & Bender Scope ??

Floyd - thanks for the offer, but I don't want a 50 mm objective. The Classic 3-12x42 is the one I got my eye on.

Any other help / experiences - PLEASE!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Unread 10-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Bronze Member

If S&B said you are good to go i would believe them. They do want to sell their products, but the scopes are good enough to sell themselves and i doubt they would lie to you just to get a sale. Some companies have more respect for their customer than others.

so you are saying 30in of movement (30moa). I have scopes like that (Nikon, Burris, and a tasco on my 10/22) With the Nikon i was good to almost 600yds (300wm) before ruining out of travel. Your setup with the S&B will be good to go at 350yds. If the scope doesnt work like they say S&B wouldnt sell it.

I dont currently have a base for a 75. I will be able to build some after hunting season if i can steal my friends rifle from him. US optics I believe has a 20moa base that will fit.

Let us know how it turns out for you.
Glen Seekins,
Unread 10-25-2006, 01:19 AM

What are you using this scope for? I am a Sako 75 owner, (7mm, 30-06), and hunt everything from White Tail deer to Moose. Most shots in the open at about 400y for the 7mm and 100y-200y with the 30-06, but the Sako 75 is still an out of the box "excellent" production hunting rifle, not a good target rifle. The high priced S&B at $1600??? I have used everything over the years. I believe the best gun to scope ratio for the Sako 75 is a Swarovski or Zeiss, there are others. They definitely have the best glass in the world. Zeiss uses Swarovski glass in there scopes. No one has been able to copy there process or make a more clear glass. This alone is worth some home work on your part. Your specifications in these scopes are around the $1000 range. These scopes are very competitive to the S&B, if not better. You will be hard pressed to beat a Swarovski at the $1600 range. The only way to pick the right one is to hold all three in you hand and look through each one several times. Especially looking into dark areas and/or from a low lighted hallway. Even crap scopes look good in the light. I have done my home work for your type of rifle and I have had more than one headache testing scopes. Don't get sucked in by how cool the scope looks or how much it costs. Any one of the above will be outstanding for your application.